High Tide Aquatics

Fans in light fixture?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
It occurred to me that the hybrid light fixture would be a great place to mount some fans blowing down on hot days. I’m thinking three 140mm computer case fans. I’m sure salt spray could be a problem...any thoughts?

411df83271b7c63fbf30dfdc50d86e6a.jpg

Reactions: JVU
It should be fine. I do the same with some small personal desk fans that. They're about 10" off the water surface.

7C3AE379-75C4-40C5-9E3B-029AC0A10400.jpeg

Those look perfect, nice to have the speed control to make sure there not too loud also. You can order extra brackets from aquatic life (or brs) for your fixture to mount them.

While it's not a problem to mount fains up there, I would question how effective they would be, blowing down as opposed to off the surface. I guess what I'm getting at is when you're blowing on coffee (or whatever hot beverage of choice) you typically blow across the surface and not straight down right?

Bottom line is I really don't know the physics of this :D

I have used computer fans.
The Noctua quiet ones work well. I get the 12V ones and hook them to a 9V supply. Lots of flow, dead silent.
Only had 1 fail over the years.

Key: Whatever you do, make sure the power supply is not near the salt spray.
If the fan dies, it is easily replaced.
If the power supply shorts out, that is a bad thing.

Blowing down should be fine. It hits the water and spreads out across the surface.

3 personal desk fans pointed straight down keep my frag tank in the garage under 82F, even when the ambient garage temp hits in the high 90s.

I actually recorded this a couple days ago when I was doing a water change when the fans were on. All the pumps were off, but you can see there's still a decent about of the water surface moving.

Reactions: JVU
I think it’ll work well. It’ll also help dissipate the heat from the lights - and I can use the Apex to turn the fans on and off.

3 personal desk fans pointed straight down keep my frag tank in the garage under 82F, even when the ambient garage temp hits in the high 90s.
I would like to say, that I'm sure your personal desk fans push a LOT more air than your standard computer fan, and probably with a lot more velocity.

It occurred to me that the hybrid light fixture would be a great place to mount some fans blowing down on hot days. I’m thinking three 140mm computer case fans. I’m sure salt spray could be a problem...any thoughts?

411df83271b7c63fbf30dfdc50d86e6a.jpg
I like this idea. It should look really clean. I used to have fans clipped to the glass (rimless tank) during the summer months. It looked bad. I don’t think the salt spray would be too bad that far up. I guess time will tell though.

Let us know how well it works.

Great idea to integrate into the fixture, should look better than handing on the side of the tank.

If you aren’t already planning it, you can use the Apex’s 24v output to run cooling fans, that’s what I’m doing. Free’s up an AC plug for something else.

I actually recorded this a couple days ago when I was doing a water change when the fans were on. All the pumps were off, but you can see there's still a decent about of the water surface moving.

Those desk fans definitely push a lot more air even with low DV voltage input than computer fans can. Larger blades help a lot.

Do you have a way to control how much voltage comes from the 24V output? Or are you running 12V fans in series to drop the voltage... (and then hoping one doesn't short open)

I stepped them down with a buck converter:

The main fan I used for the top of the aquarium (also have computer fans in the holes into the sump in back):

And to connect and give flexibility (could have just soldered):

Cool beans, nice solution there.

How many 24V ports does the Apex come with? And what are they normally used for? i.e. are you giving up something down the line by using one?

Cool beans, nice solution there.

How many 24V ports does the Apex come with? And what are they normally used for? i.e. are you giving up something down the line by using one?

Is it safe to run a fan? I can only imagine that it only provides soo much wattage. I still can't find any info on it.

Back