High Tide Aquatics

Farallon Island Trip

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
While considering sustainability and education I was wondering what it would cost to a club "sponsored" whale watching or Bay trip of some type. Obviously, this would not be paid by the club, but as a non-profit I was curious if we brought a group what it would run per person. Probably a trip out of Half Moon Bay or the city.

I did a little quick checking and I believe we could find trips as low as $50.00 a person or so, but my favorite one would be a chartered boat for a Farrallon Islands trip with the Oceanic Society. It's an eight hour trip on a chartered boat with a Marine Biologist on board. It would run $90.00 per person. If anyone at all is interested (and we would need a minimum number) the best months would probably be August or September. The boat leaves out of the Marina in SF and parking is free :)

Anybody truly interested? And of course family and friends would also be welcome.

I would be, depending on the day. Also you would get more interest if you change the name of this thread, I would think.

So I looked up Farallon Islands in Wikipedia and just a few highlights were: near oceanic nuclear waste dump sites, highest rodent density on planet, and great white breeding grounds? What else does this place have going on...?

So I looked up Farallon Islands in Wikipedia and just a few highlights were: near oceanic nuclear waste dump sites, highest rodent density on planet, and great white breeding grounds? What else does this place have going on...?

The Farrallons are protected so trips there can't land on the islands themselves, however, it's one of the most amazing preserves in the country. There are over a quarter million nesting seabirds on the island. The waters around the Islands have an incredibly dense seal population (a bunch of different species) and that in turn brings in with regularity some truly huge Great Whites and Orcas. Very ht or miss whether a trip will encounter these, but they waters are also fairly heavy with Blue Whales, Grays and Humpbacks as they migrate.

But I didn't know about the rodents!

Well if people are tentatively interested start putting down how many in your "party." Trying to get a count here. It would be on a weekend.

But on a more serious note: The Marine Science Institute in Redwood City has a boat that they take on the Bay and dredge for Plankton and marine animals and have some large tanks set up with SF Bay fishes and inverts. They are all about education.

But on a more serious note: The Marine Science Institute in Redwood City has a boat that they take on the Bay and dredge for Plankton and marine animals and have some large tanks set up with SF Bay fishes and inverts. They are all about education.
Don't know what the tanks look like now but are used to maintain them about 15 years ago and they were not the most interesting but cool to see what fish are in the bay. The one I worked on was about 100 gallons with seagrass and native fish.
Very interested in this idea of taking a trip to the Farallon Islands, haven't been yet but I've been thinking about it for a while. Happy reefing all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would probably be in, definitely if it were on one of the Adventure Cat catamarans. Don't know if that is up for consideration. Despite boat experience I get wicked seasick from exhaust. Also, there is the Derek M. Baylis sailboat which runs shark research and cage diving out there and does charters. What a great idea to go out there!

FYI When I have been out there, I have seen various whales, dolphins, tons of birds including puffins!, seals, sea lions, an ocean sunfish sunning itself (see avatar), jellyfish, ocean sailboat racing, and shark tagging going on (from other boats). Even spectacular if it rains. Charter companies set their own terms, but I know some do not take small children out and the Farallones is a really big trip.

I would be interested. Not sure if the wife can handle 8 hours on a boat but she’ll most likely come as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While considering sustainability and education I was wondering what it would cost to a club "sponsored" whale watching or Bay trip of some type. Obviously, this would not be paid by the club, but as a non-profit I was curious if we brought a group what it would run per person. Probably a trip out of Half Moon Bay or the city.

I did a little quick checking and I believe we could find trips as low as $50.00 a person or so, but my favorite one would be a chartered boat for a Farrallon Islands trip with the Oceanic Society. It's an eight hour trip on a chartered boat with a Marine Biologist on board. It would run $90.00 per person. If anyone at all is interested (and we would need a minimum number) the best months would probably be August or September. The boat leaves out of the Marina in SF and parking is free :)

Anybody truly interested? And of course family and friends would also be welcome.
count me in for two folks

I was on this island in 2021. The place is unusual and under the protection of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. It is home to many birds and mammals, which American scientists closely monitor. Scientific observations of the island's life are designed to preserve the population of rare animals and birds. Therefore, the view is only from the ship. The ship does not make noise so as not to frighten the birds. This is fraught with very serious consequences for them.

I have a question for the forum visitors. I'm going camping in West Virginia soon. Would such a flashlight be useful to me? https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV
I have heard that a regular handheld flashlight can be useful for camping, but I find it difficult to choose. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Back