Cali Kid Corals

Favorite tools for inside the tank?

These are tools I use consistently. My hands rarely go into the tank...

Right to left....
Julian's device for spot feeding.
Tongs for....
Long handled scraper
Air driven, small syphon on a wand. I used this to get baby aptasia and it was indispensable when I picked up red planaria...sucked em all out with very little tank water replacement.

What do you reach for frequently?

-Andrew

Attachments

• PXL_20230103_191635367.jpg
    PXL_20230103_191635367.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 108
Hey, another Andrew in the wild!

That spot feeder looks cool, I'll have to check it out...

Tools I reach for all the time:
  • Tongs - I'm shocked these haven't rusted yet. I dip them in freshwater when I remember.
  • Tooth brush - Used to scrub just about anything, including my skimmer neck.
  • Turkey baster - I use this to stir my sand bed periodically and blow gunk off the rocks. Also use it to spot feed corals.
  • Shoulder length gloves - I always use these when my hands go in the tank

IMG_3061.jpg

Please share more about.

"Air driven, small syphon on a wand"
2 quart plastic container with a tight lid....a soup to go container...with 2 small holes for airline tubing made in the top.
Airline tubing
2 airline tubing connectors (I'm not sure these are required...)
A wand and zip ties of your choosing.

There is a short tube that goes to my mouth and a long tube on a wand that goes into the tank. Since the entire system is mostly air tight, when I suck or blow, it does the same on the wand tube. However, water and whatever gets sucked up just drops into the container reservoir and doesn't make it across into the mouth side.

Attachments

• PXL_20230108_002713638.jpg
    PXL_20230108_002713638.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20230108_002717997.jpg
    PXL_20230108_002717997.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20230108_002750061.jpg
    PXL_20230108_002750061.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 79
Tooth brush or bristle pot scrubber, turkey baster and tongs. Battery liquid transfer pump. @Meshmez where did u get the brush vacuum attachment auto kit? Currently i just zip tie a toothbrush to the end lol then the other end goes into an extra 3rd sock chamber or can just clip an extra sock to the side of sump. Great ideas here thanks everyone
Paul

I've shared this before, but this is the feeder everyone should buy: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Choice-Syringe-Version-22-83Inch/dp/B083YSZMW3/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?crid=DXTQP9GTCYPD&keywords=aquarium+syringe&qid=1673209040&sprefix=aquarium+syr,aps,149&sr=8-16

$20 for 2 and is perfect for spot feeding and general feeding

Screenshot_20230108-121918.png
Screenshot_20230108-121936.png

I bought many others (basters, Julian's thing, ...) and this is the easiest to use and cheapest.

My other main go to is two pairs of shoulder length gloves (so I always have one available). I just wish they were slightly longer and didn't have a grommet hole at the top. I imagine when inseminating a cow or whatever vets do with these that grommet is useful for attaching to something, but for me it means I think I get water in the glove thinking I have 3 more inches of safety than I actually do.

Last edited:
I've shared this before, but this is the feeder everyone should buy: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Choice-Syringe-Version-22-83Inch/dp/B083YSZMW3/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?crid=DXTQP9GTCYPD&keywords=aquarium+syringe&qid=1673209040&sprefix=aquarium+syr,aps,149&sr=8-16

View attachment 44585View attachment 44586

I bought many others (basters, Julian's thing, ...) and this is the easiest to use and cheapest.

My other main go to is two pairs of shoulder length gloves (so I always have one available). I just wish they were slightly longer and didn't have a grommet hole at the top. I imagine when inseminating a cow or whatever vets do with these that grommet is useful for attaching to something, but for me it means I think I get water in the glove thinking I have 3 more inches of safety than I actually do.
I use these if I have stitches or cuts on upper arms just toss a pair of nitrile gloves on top for better handling.

Attachments

• 09E18CE5-7105-46E3-ACBB-1B0A1CF817C0.png
    09E18CE5-7105-46E3-ACBB-1B0A1CF817C0.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 75
This vacuum brush attachment attached to siphon hose. Great for cleaning rock, and knocking things like cyano loose.
View attachment 44575
I think I found it....or rather something that looks about the same....there are a few different options, but this certainly puts us on the right track. I'm going to pick this one up and see how it works. I'll report back once I've tried it.
micro-mini brush attachments on Amazon

Tooth brush or bristle pot scrubber, turkey baster and tongs. Battery liquid transfer pump. @Meshmez where did u get the brush vacuum attachment auto kit? Currently i just zip tie a toothbrush to the end lol then the other end goes into an extra 3rd sock chamber or can just clip an extra sock to the side of sump. Great ideas here thanks everyone
Paul
I think I found it....or rather something that looks about the same....there are a few different options, but this certainly puts us on the right track. I'm going to pick this one up and see how it works. I'll report back once I've tried it.
micro-mini brush attachments on Amazon
I actually have used the one @Prestondeeply linked, it is small so it gets in small places well, but also clogs easily.

I went back through my Amazon orders, and the one in the picture isn't on Amazon anymore. But yes, it's just a detailing vacuum attachment. For reference it's attached to a python water changer hose in the pic, which I believe is 1/2" ID.

View attachment 44585View attachment 44586

If anyone wants to split this purchase I’m open to going half. I don’t need 2. Can meet at the CFM or around Santa Clara/ Sunnyvale.

Attachments

• EADC935D-20B0-4BD4-B9D3-FDD823D87D55.jpeg
    EADC935D-20B0-4BD4-B9D3-FDD823D87D55.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 65
  • C73F7DBA-6B07-4172-ADA5-E13B601950EC.jpeg
    C73F7DBA-6B07-4172-ADA5-E13B601950EC.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 59
If anyone wants to split this purchase I’m open to going half. I don’t need 2. Can meet at the CFM or around Santa Clara/ Sunnyvale.
Hopefully works out for you two :). Note I don't use the rubber tip, I just use the tube. I also accidentally broke one once, cracking the plastic tube. I ended up cutting the tube shorter to get rid of the ragged edge, and I like having the short one too. Long one for spot feeding the big tank. Shorter one (which I cut) for the frag tank and other random uses.

Back