got ethical husbandry?

First time Apex user

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
Hey so I’m picking up a used apex(new style) with the brain/energy bar/4 probes. Anyone have any tips for setup also just general advice on do’s and don’ts with this thing. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) The setup directions on their web page are actually pretty good, and it's pretty easy to set up.
2) Don't trust the salinity probe.
3) Don't trust the pH probes until after you calibrate. Get the 1 time use pH solutions (7 and 10 for a reef), use them, and then throw them out. They don't keep and they're only about $1 each anyways.
4) Once you get things set up, run it for a couple weeks and see what data comes in. Don't suddenly make drastic changes based on whatever you see.
5) Remember, instantaneous values are not long term averages.
6) Design your systems with backups. For example, my display tank temperature probe was a little too high and it sat out of the water when I shut off the main pump due to feed mode, or when the main pump ran dry due to the ATO running out of water when I was gone for several weeks without much planning. This resulted in the temperature prober reading the air temperature. Had it been a cool day this would have turned the heater on. Fortunately my heater also has an internal thermostat set just above my target temperature, but this would not have been the case with heaters that other people use.

Reset the Apex by holding down the reset button until the Apex turns red.

Then follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2) Don't trust the salinity probe.

I've been running Apex since June. About the salinity probe: I find that it can be trusted as a delta measure. True, I wouldn't trust it for the precision of its reading. However, it is precise in its measurement; meaning: I used it as a measure of change and I trust it for that. I use a refractometer to determine actual salinity.

Sure would be nice if Neptune had a manual override setting so users could set its salinity reading to whatever they want. Then the probe does what it does best and measure and report on the delta.

I've been running Apex since June. About the salinity probe: I find that it can be trusted as a delta measure. True, I wouldn't trust it for the precision of its reading. However, it is precise in its measurement; meaning: I used it as a measure of change and I trust it for that. I use a refractometer to determine actual salinity.

Sure would be nice if Neptune had a manual override setting so users could set its salinity reading to whatever they want. Then the probe does what it does best and measure and report on the delta.

It's funny, I've seen some probes/systems where the salinity reading is rock solid yet others where it either looks solid but is actually on a several month long drift, or where it jumps around a ton through the day, but seems to hold long term, and everything in between. I've also gotten a couple phone calls involving "My salinity probe just dove" only to have someone look at the tank and find out the previously stable probe just got moody. I've yet to personally experience a case where it was actually an ATO gone haywire. Given all of this in seemingly similar probe placements I'm really not inclined to trust them.

I think it would be more useful to determine kalkwasser potency, although I'm no longer running kalk so I haven't tried that.

I too use a refractometer, although having an ATO on a large system with not much skimmate output and no water changes it doesn't really ever move so my checks are pretty infrequent.

It's funny, I've seen some probes/systems where the salinity reading is rock solid yet others where it either looks solid but is actually on a several month long drift, or where it jumps around a ton through the day, but seems to hold long term, and everything in between. I've also gotten a couple phone calls involving "My salinity probe just dove" only to have someone look at the tank and find out the previously stable probe just got moody. I've yet to personally experience a case where it was actually an ATO gone haywire.

In my experience, limited--again just a few months, where there was drift I suspect it had to do with air bubbles getting into the probe. I've moved it around in my sump through trial and error and now have it in a zone where this is less likely and I leave it put.

I think it would be more useful to determine kalkwasser potency ...

Interesting ... I'm using kalkwasser. How would I use it to determine potency?

I remember last spring reading a thread here about a group of members getting together with Neptune for a programming workshop. It was too early in my set-up to get involved. If there are members interested in getting together to discuss programming and Apex use I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss. I'm using the system for general monitoring, ATO, auto water changes, Radion and Vortech control. Where I have the most uncertainty is in my Vortech config.

Well a couple of hard resets. A few updates on the energy bar which wouldn’t let me access some outlets before I updated it a few times(known issue aparantly) and I’m in business. Nice to see this thing give off familiar numbers and nothing too alarming. I did double check the salinity and yea the probe is pretty off from my actual salinity of 1.025 double checked by a Hanna tester recently calibrated.

Attachments

• 94DCB3B2-4F5B-4D24-AB0C-D87E3A5B0FCD.png
    94DCB3B2-4F5B-4D24-AB0C-D87E3A5B0FCD.png
    133 KB · Views: 205
Now I’m looking foreword to relaxing and reading up on phase 2 which is actually running some feeding cycles. The unit came with the Neptune auto feeder and I’m wondering if people like it and can be trusted. I’m currently using an Eheim but incorporating that into my new found love for automation sounds good if it works well and doesn’t dump food on occasion

In my experience, limited--again just a few months, where there was drift I suspect it had to do with air bubbles getting into the probe. I've moved it around in my sump through trial and error and now have it in a zone where this is less likely and I leave it put.

Tried that, helps sometimes, but not enough of the time.

Interesting ... I'm using kalkwasser. How would I use it to determine potency?

See the Randy Holmes Farley post here.

In case the link ever dies:
"The best way to measure limewater saturation is by conductivity. Saturated solutions have a conductivity around 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C.

pH is a poor man's way, and can give a rough guide to the saturation. "

Now I’m looking foreword to relaxing and reading up on phase 2 which is actually running some feeding cycles. The unit came with the Neptune auto feeder and I’m wondering if people like it and can be trusted. I’m currently using an Eheim but incorporating that into my new found love for automation sounds good if it works well and doesn’t dump food on occasion

I like mine. I have it feed I to a ring 4 times a day. It’s nice to bump it up when going on vacation.

I have one and like mine too.

Man is that thing loud. I think I’ll be sticking with my Eheim for now. A question for my skimmer, I notice that the wattage jumps up for a little while then drops back down to normal range. Normal seems to be 18-19 watts but I notice that sometimes it’s running at 40+ watts and I’m wondering what could be the cause or if that’s a normal thing?

Man is that thing loud. I think I’ll be sticking with my Eheim for now. A question for my skimmer, I notice that the wattage jumps up for a little while then drops back down to normal range. Normal seems to be 18-19 watts but I notice that sometimes it’s running at 40+ watts and I’m wondering what could be the cause or if that’s a normal thing?
If an AC mag drive pump goes from heavy load to no load, the power can go up like that. (yes, up, it is weird)
So I could see a short term spike, like seconds, if it gets too much air and totally cavitates.
But if it is long term, seems very unlikely.

Is there something else like a heater that goes on?

If an AC mag drive pump goes from heavy load to no load, the power can go up like that. (yes, up, it is weird)
So I could see a short term spike, like seconds, if it gets too much air and totally cavitates.
But if it is long term, seems very unlikely.

Is there something else like a heater that goes on?

Attachments

• 87A4840B-A046-4ACC-968C-E21B96CBD341.png
    87A4840B-A046-4ACC-968C-E21B96CBD341.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 2BDE5888-8538-4B92-9B9B-5343D59101FC.png
    2BDE5888-8538-4B92-9B9B-5343D59101FC.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 183
I’ll take a peek and see if I can find something that correlates to the massive uptick in consumption I’m noticing.

Turn on the log for certain items. I use it for heaters and fans and stuff that are turning in and off intermittently. This way I can see if the spikes are caused by it or not.

Back