Cali Kid Corals

Fish found in sump that I've never seen before

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So I was just doing a water change and I noticed this little baby fish in my sump. No idea what it could be. I have a pair of cardinals and a pair of clowns in this tank. It doesn't look like any of those. It's a real little thing. About a 1/4 inch. Anyone have any ideas?

So I was just doing a water change and I noticed this little baby fish in my sump. No idea what it could be. I have a pair of cardinals and a pair of clowns in this tank. It doesn't look like any of those. It's a real little thing. About a 1/4 inch. Anyone have any ideas?

Whaaaaaatttt??? Did you add any live rock it could have been hiding in?

+1 to what Mauren said, maybe it was a hitchhiker. Can you turn that light white by chance to see the colors on the fish? Had a royal gramma in the 300, and when I was emptying it, I saw him, but then when I got down to the nitty gritty of all rock gone he was no where to be found... aka he probably was hiding in a rock hole and now is a crusty mummified remains

It looks like a cardinal fish. I once found a baby Bangaii Cardinal fish in my sump too, but they are easy to identify.

20210804_181619.jpg

Baby Cardinal would look like this guy. I happen to have 2 or so babies around my tank now. The behavior and body type from the video looks like a goby to me where it is searching and picking off the bottom.

View attachment 30366

Baby Cardinal would look like this guy. I happen to have 2 or so babies around my tank now. The behavior and body type from the video looks like a goby to me where it is searching and picking off the bottom.
A bay BC would look like that, but cardinals come in other shapes as well. It sure looks like a baby lined cardinal. They pick off the bottom like that.

Gobies have their eyes closer to the top of their head.

Back