Neptune Aquatics

Fish ID

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Student saw this today at Cal Academy. Said it looked like it might have birdlike feet under it and might have dragon in the name. Anybody know what it is? I have a video clip of it moving and it is super cool
0FB2E4C3-B5CC-4644-805B-6CB70E7AD7DB.png

Totally off the wall guess, but it looks like it would have behavior similar to a dragonette. My google fu is failing me though. Ornate ghost pipefish is the closest thing I found, but maybe not this.

I am pretty sure that is a dragon faced pipefish in the back, and maybe a white and orange flavor of the ghost pipefish?

It would make some sense to have a bunch of those together to eat small swimmy things together.

The goofy one in the front with wings that kind of shimmies along the ground is a Little Dragonfish. One of my favorite tanks at the academy!

But…why didn’t your student just read the sign? :p

The goofy one in the front with wings that kind of shimmies along the ground is a Little Dragonfish. One of my favorite tanks at the academy!

But…why didn’t your student just read the sign? :p
12-year-old boy. Enough said.

Actually, some 7th graders in an accelerated science class went on the trip but I do not teach that grade. I have several of them in my marine science elective class but we have been too busy to talk about it and I don't want to make the rest of the kids feel sad who could not attend. I should check out their sketchbooks from the trip bc some of those kids are amazing.

Back