got ethical husbandry?

Fluval Sea EVO 13.5G Kit

Hey All,

I just bought the new kit and was looking for a few recommendations on things. 1) What’s the best Rock, Sand, Corals that you guys have had success with. 2) How many and what kinds of fish did you guys go with?

Looking forward to the input and suggestions and excited to get my new tank going.

If you want a quick cycle then I'd suggest going with Live rock. For a tank that small I'd recommend a crush coral substrate as this will greatly increase your surface area for beneficial bacteria to maximize bio filtration if you are ok with the look. (It also makes establishing new frags (softies) easy as you can just plop it on the substrate and it'll attach itself to a piece of crush coral. Continuation to that for corals I'd recommend mostly softies with maybe a few lps. Hope this helps and I'm sure more experienced reefers will be chiming in soon.

Hey All,

I just bought the new kit and was looking for a few recommendations on things. 1) What’s the best Rock, Sand, Corals that you guys have had success with. 2) How many and what kinds of fish did you guys go with?

Looking forward to the input and suggestions and excited to get my new tank going.
You should check out @thesassyindian journal here. https://www.bareefers.org/forum/thr...lon-m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶-̶p̶i̶t̶-nano-mixed-reef.26438/

He has the same tank.

Hey All,

Great tank choice for a first tank!
Shoot me any specific questions and I’ll do my best to help!

1) What’s the best Rock, Sand, Corals that you guys have had success with. 2) How many and what kinds of fish did you guys go with?

This is what I went with:

2: 5lb ReefRock, 2.0, 10lb Carib Sea live sand

1: Two clowns, Randall’s Goby + lots of Inverts

As for corals, here’s my current stocking:
  1. GSP
  2. Green tipped torch
  3. Pink goniopora
  4. Eagle Eye zoa
  5. Illuminati zoa
  6. Rasta zoa
  7. Orange Bam Bam zoa
  8. Utter chaos zoa
  9. Red monti cap
  10. Orange acan lord
  11. Red acan lord
  12. Duncan
  13. Frogspawn
  14. Rainbow pocillopora
  15. Forest fire digitata
  16. Purple stylophora
  17. Red planet acropora
  18. Blue tipped stag
  19. Garf bonsai acropora
  20. Indo-Gold branching hammer

I just started setup as well, getting back into the hobby. Regarding rock, a lot of the guidance you'll see out there is in terms of lbs per gallon. Looking at those guides, it's the same ratios now with people using man made rock which is extremely dense and heavy as live rock from the ocean which is very porous and relatively light. I'd consider all that sort of guidance as very questionable, and you'll really want to focus on the aquascape looking good and checking your levels to figure out what's actually right for you.

I like the man made or mined rock though. You can control what goes into your tank, and you're not destroying the reefs. With a 13 gallon you'll even more want control.

I used the Caribsea Liferock, mostly because it looked kind of natural and I got a major deal from PetSmart's site through doordash delivery. I also used Fritz turbo start I got per recommendation from Neptune aquatics. That all combined with dosing Ammonia and a ton of API ammonia measurements made the cycling pretty fast and straightforward. I would not buy live sand personally, since you're paying for water in the bag and the bottled bacteria certainly more live and not that expensive.

Also, set aside budget for a new pump or powerhead for the fluval. The stock pump is very weak.

Final suggestion, prioritize easy when buying things. Especially in a small tank, you need maintenance to be easy so that you stay on top of it and avoid things going south. Spend a couple extra dollars for the easy to use salinity testers, supplies for water changes, and so on. It's relatively cheap to do easy things like water changes in a tank like that, and that's a great way to control what's going on.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Back