Reef nutrition

Fluval Spec III - shelf peninsula

Hello all,

I’ve been looking for a place to post since the other forum I am on is a little dead. Looking to join the community and share my reefing experience.

I’ve recently got back into the hobby after coming across this tank on CL for a steal. I had old tanks in the past big and small and thought it would be a good idea to occupy myself with a tank. Unfortunately no one saw the covid crisis coming. I lost my job and now I got all the time in the world. Looking to contribute and learn from to and from you all.

Attachments

• EFF572CD-3573-4350-8320-B893743D1D5F.jpeg
    EFF572CD-3573-4350-8320-B893743D1D5F.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 195
Cool thanks alot.
From the pic am not sure how suitable your system is for sps. I see things between the Rock's that is concerning.
Would be good to understand your parameters, bioload, filtration method..etc.

Sounds good! Not a problem.
I’ve kept some small beginner sps in my tank for the past couple months.
The rock flower and mini carpet nems were the first additions to the tank and they’ve found their place between the rocks on the lower half, granted they won’t stay there forever.

Parameters are as follows on July 9th:

Temp: 78.6-80.1 (some heating issues during summer months which I adjusted this week)
Nitrates 5
Phosphates 0.03-0.05
Alkalinity 7.6
Calcium 400-410
Mag 1390-1420

I have a fairly low bio load with one pistol shrimp, two scarlet hermits and one stoma snail.
I have a natural setup with minimal filtration. I run carbon throughout the month when I want to improve my water clarity. I have no other mechanical filtration and I do not skim.
20% water changes weekly, which is only two quarts of water. I test weekly and have a bit of an idea of what I’m doing. Hehe

Are you worried at all from these glovers in the midsection of the rocks?
Your parameters looks good, your bio load is small that's why you getting away with small filtration. But if you start adding fish and increase your bio load story might change a bit.
Am willing to give you a frag of the bubble gum and possibly frag of the yellow tort since so far your system look ok.

Back