High Tide Aquatics

Free fish!

Corallus

Supporting Member
Of course there's a catch... the free fish are damsels. And whoever takes them, by doing so, is promising to give them a good home.

First, a yellow tail crysiptera parasema, pretty accurate description here. I've had this one for around 2 years or so, and was the second half of an unsuccessful pairing attempt. The other one was given to a fellow BAR member, and still pops up in pics now and them. It's really not that aggressive, currently in my QT tank with a fairy wrasse, who is the dominant of the two. Hoping to take down my QT tank soon, so this one needs a home. Perfectly healthy, eats everything, no issues at all.
Damsel-1.jpg

Damsel-2.jpg

The second ones, and these are going to be a bit of a tough sell; a pair of 4 stripe damsels (dascyllus melanurus, info here). I got the first one over a year ago when I was helping a local reefer here in SF take down his tank, and asked who was adventurous enough to be taking it. No response. But the tank was coming down that day, and another one was not being set up, and I just hated the idea of it going down the toilet. So in my sump he went (his name quickly became Sumpy). A few months later I was in Petco buying something for my cats, I walked by the saltwater tanks and saw a little four stripe getting the crap kicked out it by some other damsels. I was already feeling bad for Mr. Sumpy being all alone, so the little one came home. After a pretty long QT, Mr. Sumpy went in with the new little one (now Mrs. Sumpy), they got along basically immediately and have been together since, owning the sump. It's now past time for my yearly sump cleaning, so this would be great time to catch them. The large one is about 3", and I don't think he will really grow any more. Yes, this family has a deservedly bad reputation, but they stay way smaller than domino damsels and I'm sure would fine with larger tangs, wrasses or angles. They're really fun fish to watch, and if setup correctly, would make a great addition to the right tank. Whoever takes these, takes them both, and keeps them together.
Damsel-3.jpg

Damsel-6.jpg

Damsel-7.jpg

Damsel-8.jpg

Last edited:
I may be able to take the pair of 4 stripe damsels. I have a 140g with larger fish that will likely not be bullied by them. I'm still a little hesitant about the aggression and bio load. Maybe others can chime in and give me advice based on my current stocking list:

Fox Face 7"
Green Bird Wrasse 6"
Harlequin Tusk 5"
Blue Chin Trigger 5"
Flame Angel 4"
Powder Brown Tang 5"
Purple Tang 4"
Tomini Tang 3.5"
Cleaner Wrasse 2"

did you ever find a home for your fish?
Not yet! The 4 stripes are more of a "if someone want's to give them a good home" situation, but I do hope to find a new place for the yellow tail soon so I can take down my QT for now.

@svreef - It's possible they would do ok in with your crew. One key with these guys, and damsels in general (IME) is they establish territories, and once set up, can be pretty aggressive towards new additions. The damsels I have in my 2 displays (1 pair springers in one tank, 1 pair azures in the other) are fine with small less aggressive fish. The springers are in with a pink streak wrasse, and I've never even seen a nip. Usually established fish, again IME and every situation is different, are much less likely to be bothered aside to occasional short skirmishes. You're welcome to try them out, and if they don't settle in well, I can always toss them back in my sump.

Not yet! The 4 stripes are more of a "if someone want's to give them a good home" situation, but I do hope to find a new place for the yellow tail soon so I can take down my QT for now.

@svreef - It's possible they would do ok in with your crew. One key with these guys, and damsels in general (IME) is they establish territories, and once set up, can be pretty aggressive towards new additions. The damsels I have in my 2 displays (1 pair springers in one tank, 1 pair azures in the other) are fine with small less aggressive fish. The springers are in with a pink streak wrasse, and I've never even seen a nip. Usually established fish, again IME and every situation is different, are much less likely to be bothered aside to occasional short skirmishes. You're welcome to try them out, and if they don't settle in well, I can always toss them back in my sump.

I don’t think a trial would work since it would be near impossible to get them back out of the tank once they’re in. Although my existing fish are large and somewhat aggressive, they’re not territorial. I have no plans to add any more fish aside from a pair of maroon clowns that are growing up in a separate tank. I’m sure those two would hold their own.

Realizing I let the convo drop, my apologies @svreef. Yep, I’d keep the 4 stripes with my maroons, if the maroon‘s tank was big enough (only 40 gal). I think they have a good chance of fitting in with your group. Totally understand about it not being a trial, really meant, if they didn't work out, I’d take them back (If possible) so you won’t be stuck finding a place for them.

And, trying to make another pitch for the yellow tail! Nice little bit of color for a tank with clowns, wrasses, tangs, etc.

Realizing I let the convo drop, my apologies @svreef. Yep, I’d keep the 4 stripes with my maroons, if the maroon‘s tank was big enough (only 40 gal). I think they have a good chance of fitting in with your group. Totally understand about it not being a trial, really meant, if they didn't work out, I’d take them back (If possible) so you won’t be stuck finding a place for them.

And, trying to make another pitch for the yellow tail! Nice little bit of color for a tank with clowns, wrasses, tangs, etc.

Sorry, I went silent as well. I’m willing to take the 4 stripes but I’m just way too busy to make a trip to SF right now. If we can find someone to shuttle them closer or wait a couple of weeks, that would work.

Sounds good! I can also meet you half way, maybe Palo Alto or somewhere like that. No worries about waiting, not in a hurry and they’re doing fine. I’ll check in with you via PM in a couple of weeks.

Back