Our mission

Free Yellow Tang in Hawaii

Found these at the rental car place on Maui. Had to do a double take. Made me laugh. Thought I'd share.
20221003_122343.jpg

Back in the day, yellow tangs pretty much were disposable there. I remember an aquarium display on Kalakaua in Honolulu that had probably 1000+ in a pelagic style tank with very little grazing area. Not surprising that they all died a year later when we returned.

Also be careful bringing back anything. I remember about 12 years ago I got a tiny bit of live sand and ogo to bring back and add biodiversity to my tank (back when that was the rage) and ended up with a hair algae that I only recently battled back with pods and gfo.

I know you're in Maui but if you're spending any time on Oahu check out the Waikiki aquarium. They have some really nice reef displays and outdoor clam tanks.

Also be careful bringing back anything. I remember about 12 years ago I got a tiny bit of live sand and ogo to bring back and add biodiversity to my tank (back when that was the rage) and ended up with a hair algae that I only recently battled back with pods and gfo.
Kapu!

You brought the curse of Pele home. You are lucky you only got algae and not a river of lava through your house.

We just got back from 2 weeks in Kauai. I was surprised to not see any yellow tangs. I saw plenty of other fish and much more coral than I had seen on other trips just no yellow or Achilles tangs. The coolest thing was to see an octopus.

Snorkeling has been disappointing in recent years. I need to try another place
I was pretty impressed by the Florida Keys in the areas the Coral Restoration Project has been working on. Otherwise probably have to go to the more remote areas in Hawaii to see much.

Don't leave us hanging, turn the card over, what are the details on the back!

That said it's been a long time since I've been to Maui, used to like to go to Cove beach (I think) tiny little place had a very small parking lot that if you get there super early (before 9am) you were great, but much later and you're risking not going.

Back