Jestersix

From the desert to the bay

I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I am in the process of moving my family from Arizona to Morgan Hill Ca. for a position with a great company. I chose BAR as most of my time will be spent in the bay area, mainly near Santa Cruz, San Francisco and Aptos where my family resides.

I have around 6 years experience in reef keeping. I can also be found on Reef Central (usually up to no good in the lounge) I'm a big SPS and zoa fan. I recently sold off my setup here in AZ in anticipation of the move but I was able to keep about 50lb's of LR around 20 SPS frags and a large rock with around 12 colonies of hard to find zoa's. All of this currently resides in 3 10g tanks in my garage LOL. It was a sad day to see it all go but it gives me a chance to start fresh and who doesn't like starting a new tank?

I am planning on a nano setup this time around as I kind of had enough of large tanks and the maintenance required for the time being and the condo were moving into just won't allow it. I purchased a 24x24x24 cube but it broke during shipping so it was returned and I'll just wait until I make my way out there to have another one made. For right now I'll work with a 22g ADA rimless and a small frag setup. I'll be sure to post a build thread if you all would be interested.

I will be fully moved out there on April 1st and my house isn't even packed yet. I look forward to meeting all of you and the times that we will share.

Happy Reefing.

Welcome, definately start a build thread when you get started. Too bad about the cube. You'll love Santa Cruz and Capitola. Wish Hayward had as many good places to eat!

Not_Now_John said:
Welcome, definately start a build thread when you get started. Too bad about the cube. You'll love Santa Cruz and Capitola. Wish Hayward had as many good places to eat!

Really? I find more good places to eat in that area, than Santa Cruz. But than again. I've been here for nearly 40 years and many of my top food choices just aren't served around here :lol: I go to Alameda for good sushi and rarely eat sushi here in town. If I do there is one place in Watsonville that I do enjoy :)

One thing you will not love about Santa Cruz Country is the lack of good LFS. We have one on the west-side. One in Capitola and one in Watsonville. None hold a candle to most LFS in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks for all the kind words. I haven't really checked any LFS out yet in the area. Never really have time since our stays are always short. My wife just found the first of the packages of new reef goodies at the doorstep today...she wasn't thrilled LOL. Got my 6x20 anodized black heatsink, 6 neutral white LED's, 8 cool white, 6 blue, 8 royal blue, 4 UV, 2 red and 2 green, drivers etc etc from rapid LED. I'm documenting and will post once I finally get the family out there and settled in. see you all soon.

I have never checked out the Fish Stores in Arizona, but I'm guessing you will be happy with the selection in the bay area. We have some killer stores!! Good luck with the move and welcome!

dublo8 said:
My wife just found the first of the packages of new reef goodies at the doorstep today...she wasn't thrilled LOL.
Yup, know what you mean. Been caught red-handed too many times over the years.

You need to have the packages delivered to your office!

If you work from home, make friends with a neighbor so they can accept the packages!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

"No honey, that pump isn't for the aquarium, it's for the hot water system"
"No honey, that isn't a new tank, it's for the hot water system"
"No honey, those are not new buckets of salt, those are for softening the water...for the hot water system"
"No honey, that isn't a new tank skimmer, that a water purifier....for the hot water system"
etc :-D

Alrighty, I made it safe and sound. I got here on the 2nd, 24' moving truck with my Sentra SE-R in tow. It was a long drive with a flat tire right outside of phoenix. Been busy working the past week and building my new tank stand. If I can visit ONE LFS in the south bay area. Which one should I visit? and is there any LFS close to my area(morgan hill)?

Back