Airwaterice

Ged’s RSR 350 mixed reef with a focus on LPS and zoas

My reef is a 2 year old Red Sea reefer 350. It is mostly lps and zoas however their are also 3 bird nests and a grafted setosa. I still feel my tank is a bit unstable so I’m holding off on other sps but I do plan on getting more in the future. My tank has the standers RS refiugium, vertex 250 skimmer, 2 kessil a360s, and a ecotech vectra return pump. I currently use RS salt but I plan on switching to something that holds alkalinity better after watching the BRS investigates video on salt storage. I have minimal fish with 4 clowns, a fire fish, a cardinal, a six line, and a angel fish. I run sea lettuce in my refugium as chetomorpha does not like my tank. I also do a weekly 10gallon WC and test. My zoas are just starting to overgrow a bit so there will definitely be some free zoa frags coming soon to this forum. Overall I have had no problems with my tank other than mild hair algae.

I am new here and I’m having a bit of trouble uploading an images but once I figure it out I’ll be sure to upload one here.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Is Vertex the Red Sea brand naming for skimmer, or do you mean a Vertex Alpha 250? Because 1) that's a whole lot of skimmer for a tank that size especially if it's only zoas and LPS, and 2) how do you cram something that big into the sump for that thing? :D

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
and yeah I was a bit disappointed in RS salt, I mean the stuff is supposedly straight from the Red Sea with very little additions to it, how can it not hold it's parameters in a mixing vessel for any length of time?

Sorry, It is the vertex 150 alpha. It’s from a old Fowler that used to house my porkiepine puffer. Do you think it could cause problems with too low of nutrients?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Vertex 150 should be fine. Only questioned the 250 because that's designed for systems 200-400 gallons and that may be a problem.