Jestersix

Getting Wrasse to Eat?

Matthew Meyer

Supporting Member
Still attempting to get the yellow tail tamarin wrasse to eat. All suggestions welcome. It has been a little over a week since I got the fish from Neptune. Was not eating in the store either.

Fish is currently always on the hunt for food. Not intimidated by any other fish. Nobody is bullying him.

Attempted Fish food:
- Cyclopods
- Frozen Mysis with and without Garlic soak
- Frozen SF Carnivore high protien diet mix
- Live black worms
- 2 types of Pellets
- Nori
- Arcti pods
- reef frenzy

Have yet to try:
- Brine Shrimp

Last edited:
1665537064263600598882656417957.jpg

Those guys are tuff and just as hard to keep long term. I’ve seen pods and live brine being the key to get them started. I wish you luck

From Liveaquaria: "When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. It eats very small invertebrates (amphiopods) that grow on live rock. The diet should also include live, small feeder shrimps (brine, mysid) and finely chopped marine meats."

What? 899.99 gota be a typo!! there only 60 to 140 ..Beautiful fish get large my friends was around 10 inches! Hopefully small brine shrimp and tiger pods will work try adding them at night or early in the morning before lights on so he wakes up naturaly undisturbed with food already swimming around..also oyster feast / R.O.E has been my go to for picky eaters at times..Best of luck

I have had vey poor success with seeding my aquarium with pods :(
Interesting - where are you getting the pods, and what kind? Are they alive when you add them (sadly, it seems most of the pods sold locally are dead, and many of the online vendors send dead pods too...). Are you dosing a bunch of phyto for a while to get them established?

I have had very good luck with Ecopods and Galaxypods from Algaebarn. Pods purchased from AC, Neptune, Reefcleaners (love reefcleaners tho), usually seem to be mostly dead or DOA...

The little bottles of tigger pods from reefnutrition that are sold at AC are clearly alive, but I haven't had luck getting that variety established either, FWIW.

Also - I have found that seeding pods from algaebarn + nightly fairly heavy dosing of phytofeast leads to pod explosions. I have 2x wrasses and 1x mandarin that do nothing but eat pods all day and I still see them all over the place!
Do you have a skimmer? Still trying to figure out the best way to do phyto feeding for my tank after doing the Galaxy pod additions.

Back