Cali Kid Corals

Good camera for taking pictures of our tanks

So I know practically nothing about cameras. I see some awesome pictures from people on here, just wondering what cameras you guys use. Also, I was wondering what were some good cameras for the price, or if anyone is willing to sell me one that would be awesome. I just want to be able to take clear pictures of my corals, and being able to take clear macro shots would be a plus

What's the approx. cost for a new one?edit: never mind, looks like $300 for the camera and $300 for the lens. Anyone want to sell me something used?

It helps to have good equipment, and you can take shots on auto that will be better than your iPhone, but I think you'll still be disappointed in your shots unless you're ready to learn a new skill. If you just want to click and shoot I think many of the compact digital cameras on the market will be more affordable and will have macro options that may be enough for you.

It helps to have good equipment, and you can take shots on auto that will be better than your iPhone, but I think you'll still be disappointed in your shots unless you're ready to learn a new skill. If you just want to click and shoot I think many of the compact digital cameras on the market will be more affordable and will have macro options that may be enough for you.

In all honesty, many of the point and shoot cameras are pretty close to the same quality that you get from a lot of smartphones. The point and shoot cameras that really out perform the smartphones generally cost about as much as entry level dslrs.

In all honesty, many of the point and shoot cameras are pretty close to the same quality that you get from a lot of smartphones. The point and shoot cameras that really out perform the smartphones generally cost about as much as entry level dslrs.

I agree with you. There are great compact cameras these days that rival entry level quality, and they can be pricey. I guess my point is that just buying an slr and a macro lens does not equal great photos. And if one wanted to get great photos and learn photography, started with a fixed macro lens is probably not the best lens to learn on.

Still learning how to use my slr.

af076a273bf2e804d94b3c79874ee785.jpg

1951127c48a7e95d3f3272a60181f0f7.jpg

da8251e2bdc2a41e83af1ae0fcb3cfa5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did a photography class last year as one of our monthly meetings. I think it helped out a number of people. It was pretty basic stuff but it was geared towards learning to take pictures of your coral with a DSLR.

Love my rx100 mark 3. I got rid of our DSLR.
Yeah I have the rx100 ii, and I hardly use my slr now. The macro is not great though.
I bought a Sony nex-7 which is a mirrorless camera. I've been very happy with it.

I dont have much experience in coral photography, but i always assumed those great photos were done with lens a lot more expensive than $300. I was thinking $1500 or more, to have large enough aperture and also adjustable focal length (after all i cant stick my camera inside the tank!)

You do not need that expensive of a lens for a great looking photo. A tamron 90mm 2.8 macro is more than sufficient.
I know this article I wrote is back from 2010, but there is plenty of relevant information.

Attachments

• bf40f0ab4e5e63171dd16036913ae828-version13.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 650
Has anyone tried a GoPro since they can be submerged? What's the focusing distance on them?

I have a GoPro that I've taken snorkeling before and I would venture to guess that focusing distance is prolly at least a foot. It's really a wide angle camera and not made for close ups.

We did a photography class last year as one of our monthly meetings. I think it helped out a number of people. It was pretty basic stuff but it was geared towards learning to take pictures of your coral with a DSLR.

I would totally be down to give a tutorial on photography if someone would help teach me how to program my apex. How about a photography/apex meeting?

And dslr bodies don't have to be that expensive. I've got my old Nikon D90 body that I could sell for a hundred or so. When I bought my full frame I thought my wife might want to shoot with the D90 but she didn't show much interest.

Back