Kessil

Hanna Nitrate low range checker available

JVU

President
BOD
I know there are some clever work-arounds for this out there already, but Hanna finally made a low-range Nitrate checker:

Looking at the instructions though, it’s kinda more complicated than I thought it would be.

With the API test kit,t he Nitrate test drives me insane. It's clearly yellow on the low side and dark red as it gets higher, but everything in between is like ... uh .. I dunno ... maybe this? Maybe that? And the tube reflects and refracts light all around it so it's hard to see what is what. I think looking down the tube and out the bottom might work slightly better.

Shipping at Hanna is $15. I pre-ordered mine from saltwateraquarium.com, but unfortunately, you can’t preorder reagent from them like you can at Hanna’s website.

Looking at the instructions though, it’s kinda more complicated than I thought it would be.
If diluting it sounds like a lot of work. but I think it’s worth it to have more accurate result. Api is hard to read like Vince said, and salifert has pretty large gaps in their reading card. I currently have a 15ppm gap because I’m between 10-25 on the card

You know what would be great? A Colorimeter app for smart phones. So you can take a photo of the color chart, then a photo of the testtube and it can just tell us what matches. I mean, that's what Hanna does, but so expensive and you gotta buy one meter per parameter you're testing! I'd love a universal test reader...

V

what’s gonna suck is that I have to set a timer to make sure I get there after the last step before it auto shut downs and erases may reading. I know that it is there for 10 minutes after the reading, but I have three young kids at home and get easily side tracked.

where’s the wifi and cloud version of Hanna checkers? Heck, at least just gimme a USB port for data logging on a computer. :p

Testing instructions:
Screenshot_20200924-224400_Chrome.jpg

Honestly, based on how many times I screw up the reagent packets on the phosphate tester, I would never get an actual test out of this... I'll stick to salifert.

what’s gonna suck is that I have to set a timer to make sure I get there after the last step before it auto shut downs and erases may reading. I know that it is there for 10 minutes after the reading, but I have three young kids at home and get easily side tracked.
Why can’t it just recall the last reading at least? Or beep at you when the test is done?
where’s the wifi and cloud version of Hanna checkers? Heck, at least just gimme a USB port for data logging on a computer. :p

Just set up a CCTV / nest cam and record it. Hah!

Lmao. How do you screw up the reagent pack on those? It's a single pack to open...

My guess would be because it's a PITA to cut it open and tap the reagent out into the vial, making sure you get it all in there without spilling.

I've screwed it up a few times since I got it, and really wish they'd sell the phosphate reagent in those long, thin packages like some sugar is packed in.

My guess would be because it's a PITA to cut it open and tap the reagent out into the vial, making sure you get it all in there without spilling.

I've screwed it up a few times since I got it, and really wish they'd sell the phosphate reagent in those long, thin packages like some sugar is packed in.
This.

You think you got it all and then all of a sudden you dump part of it on the table. Bump the open pouch and knock it out. Don't get it all shaken out of the corners when i cut. Those pouches are horrible.

If diluting it sounds like a lot of work. but I think it’s worth it to have more accurate result. Api is hard to read like Vince said, and salifert has pretty large gaps in their reading card. I currently have a 15ppm gap because I’m between 10-25 on the card
Does this really matter though? Would it really make a difference if it's 15 or 20? Generally I will look at the color and see which one it's closer to, to get an idea of which end of the range it's leaning to. But beyond that I don't know that it really matters.

Back