High Tide Aquatics

Harlequin shrimp experiences?

Chromis

Supporting Member
Looking for your experience with these shrimp. I bought a harlequin shrimp in November and there are fewer asterina starfish in the tank now, maybe half as many. But they aren’t gone. How long does it normally take for these shrimp to eat all the asterinas?

Also, I have seen this shrimp twice in the 2+ months I’ve had it (only at night behind a rock in the back of the tank). Are they normally super reclusive or is mine just so well fed it spends the day sleeping?

Couple other observations - they don’t seem to eat sea cucumbers or brittle stars. Or will he eat them once he’s out of asterinas?

Looking for your experience with these shrimp. I bought a harlequin shrimp in November and there are fewer asterina starfish in the tank now, maybe half as many. But they aren’t gone. How long does it normally take for these shrimp to eat all the asterinas?

Also, I have seen this shrimp twice in the 2+ months I’ve had it (only at night behind a rock in the back of the tank). Are they normally super reclusive or is mine just so well fed it spends the day sleeping?

Couple other observations - they don’t seem to eat sea cucumbers or brittle stars. Or will he eat them once he’s out of asterinas?

I keep these guys in pair in all my systems for the past 8 years. Love this shrimp.
It might take time for a shrimp to clean all the asterina starfish because these guys cannot climb on the glass, so they must see the star fish close by on a teachable area for them to get it.
I hate using these shrimps only to control asterina starfish cause they might starve and die before getting all the free asterina.
I highly recommend to feed the shrimp on the side chocolate chip to keep them healthy.
These guys like to live in private and will only get out of their hideout (which usually a shaded cave or under a rock) when they are hungry, when they are wondering around know it's time to feed and they might not make it more than couple of weeks without food (star fish)
When they hungry they will wonder during day and or night.
They do really good in pair and will live together in the same place which is super nice to watch.
Indeed they never bothered my tiger tail sea cucumber or in the past brittle stars...
If you have specific questions about them feel free to ask, I have dealt with them alot and love watching them...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back