got ethical husbandry?

Heater Recommendations

Hello all. Does anyone have any recommendations for a heater for a pico reef tank. The tank currently has 2.5 gallons of water and the temp is at 82 even though the heater is set to 77. Or would my best bet be getting a inkbird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of heater do you have on it right now and what kind of light? It could be that the heater itself isn’t accurate to what the settings say, or maybe the water volume is so small that the light and other factors such as heat in your house is having an effect on it

I don’t know of any small heaters that are accurate enough. Even though it seems overkill, I’d get an InkBird to control the small heater you have. That’s exactly what I do for each of 4 small tanks I have for my Berghia breeding project.

I don’t know of any small heaters that are accurate enough. Even though it seems overkill, I’d get an InkBird to control the small heater you have. That’s exactly what I do for each of 4 small tanks I have for my Berghia breeding project.

Seconding this. Heater's built-in thermostats can be inaccurate, and the smaller your water volume the greater that inaccuracy may be due to ease of temp fluctuation.

Plus, while it's not a foolproof safeguard, a temp controller helps prevent your heater failing in the 'on' position and cooking the tank.

Appreciate the responses. I think I’ll go with an ink bird as that is the only way I can get an accurate temp. My other tank is at 77.7 with no fan on so it has to be the lack of water volume or the inaccurate thermometer in the heater. I’m using a kessil a80 so I’m sure that that is playing an role In the temp as well. I might set up a tiny fan and get the ink bird that can turn on the fan at a certain temp. Thank you all

Appreciate the responses. I think I’ll go with an ink bird as that is the only way I can get an accurate temp. My other tank is at 77.7 with no fan on so it has to be the lack of water volume or the inaccurate thermometer in the heater. I’m using a kessil a80 so I’m sure that that is playing an role In the temp as well. I might set up a tiny fan and get the ink bird that can turn on the fan at a certain temp. Thank you all

This is the one you want with dual-stage temp control: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-...ocphy=9032170&hvtargid=pla-318107594620&psc=1

Just a note that the minimum variation you can set is 1 degree from your set temp with this model. So if you set it at 78 F, the fan won't turn on until it hits 79 degrees and the heater won't turn on until it hits 77.

This is the one you want with dual-stage temp control: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-...ocphy=9032170&hvtargid=pla-318107594620&psc=1

Just a note that the minimum variation you can set is 1 degree from your set temp with this model. So if you set it at 78 F, the fan won't turn on until it hits 79 degrees and the heater won't turn on until it hits 77.

Ok. Thank you for letting me know. That should be fine right? Better than 82 lol

Ok. Thank you for letting me know. That should be fine right? Better than 82 lol

Oh yeah, that's more than sufficient. :) I was just giving you a heads up because I was a bit surprised to find that was the smallest temp variation you could set up, but it hasn't been an issue at all for me.

Oh yeah, that's more than sufficient. :) I was just giving you a heads up because I was a bit surprised to find that was the smallest temp variation you could set up, but it hasn't been an issue at all for me.

I’m also surprised that 1 degree is the smallest temp variation. Should be fine for what I’m doing. Thank you!!

Actually, wait; don't use that one - I didn't realize that one has the metal probe, rather than the rubber-coated temp probe to prevent corrosion.

Ok will do. This one right?
040f7d4256bf7e01b28203bb37f9d853.plist

Back