Kessil

Hello BAR

Hello. My name is Justin and I'm a aquaholic. :)

I've been keeping aquariums for almost 30 years now, ever since my mother bought me a 10g tank for Christmas one year when I was about 10. Through most of that time I was keeping freshwater planted tanks. I did have a 29g reef for a couple of years back when I was living in Seattle. I loved it, especially my GBTA and the pair of black percula clowns which called it home and would spawn every couple of weeks. In the end though I lost the fight against the aiptasia horde and ended up tearing down the tank. I moved down to the bay area 4 years ago and was without a tank for the first time since my mother bought my first 10g all those years ago. I moved down to Sunnyvale this past spring and decided it was time to give a reef another try and have just started setting up my tank. These days you can often find me spending my weekend days staring into the tanks at Neptune Aquatics anxiously awaiting the day that I can start adding some of those frags to my tank.

Cheers,

You are getting to BAR earlier in the process than I did. Good luck back reading to pull as much information as you can before you make commitments in the build process. Welcome.

Thank you for all the welcomes! Very glad to be here.

iCon said:
Dip all incoming corals :)
At risk of asking a stupid question, dip them in what? H2O2? I've come across several references to that recently. Either the hobby has changed quite a bit in the 5 years I was out of it or this time around I have access to more knowledgeable people.

Dip in:

Lugols
or
Revive
or
Coral Rx
or
Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure
or
Povidone (provided for free by the club)

It is for pest prevention. Rule of thumb, treat everything you get as if it is infested with the worst possible critters. Everyone has their personal favorites. Mine is Revive.

CoralRX for me, but, I have never used Revive which is similar to CoralRX.

GreshamH said:

I have both actually and wonder how much different they really are. Both have that Pinesol smell to them. I will tell you one thing that I have first hand tested. Neither kill AEFW's. They both do stun them very well.

seminolecpa said:
GreshamH said:

I have both actually and wonder how much different they really are. Both have that Pinesol smell to them. I will tell you one thing that I have first hand tested. Neither kill AEFW's. They both do stun them very well.

IME experience Revive melts AEFW, perhaps it depends on the concentration, either way, again, IME AEFW become unrecognizable goo after about 15 minutes. I have no experience with Coral RX, although with the ingredients labeled on Revive I don't think it would be too difficult to clone it.

Maybe I am not adding enough then. I too 2 AEFW's and put them in containers with both solutions in them and I swear both of those evil suckers were still very much recognizable.

I will bring by some of the Coral Rx this w/e and we can do some further testing.

seminolecpa said:
Maybe I am not adding enough then. I too 2 AEFW's and put them in containers with both solutions in them and I swear both of those evil suckers were still very much recognizable.

I will bring by some of the Coral Rx this w/e and we can do some further testing.

This weekend? can I play :) I'll bring what I owe you :lol:

I have some left over One Shot CoralRX I can send to you Jeremy, or bring up this weekend????

Back