Reef nutrition

Hello, first timer here & Looking for any corals/fish that need a home that your getting rid of

FreahSaltyGuy

Supporting Member
Hello All,

First of Merry Christmas Eve! My name is Mike and I live out here in Manteca. I've been in the freshwater fish hobby for 20 years with successful planted tanks.
I started my first reef tank 3 months ago after my 3 girls have begged me for the passed 2 years and found a good deal on a 40 gallons tank. I would like to populate it with a LOT more coral and fish. I currently have a 1 frag Duncan and 1 frag Zoa, 2 clowns and would love to add more.
I have no problem driving to pick up anything your willing to get rid of to help me out. I'd like to pay it forward in the future.
Appreciate any help! Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
Yeah. Check out my dbtc. Most of everything is available. Probably can’t meet up until the new year tho.
So when I go to DBTC do I need to request it or simple as replying to a post? Appreciate the quick response. Thank you and no worries on timing I'm not in any hurry and appreciate any and all help. Happy Holidays!

So when I go to DBTC do I need to request it or simple as replying to a post? Appreciate the quick response. Thank you and no worries on timing I'm not in any hurry and appreciate any and all help. Happy Holidays!
You can check our DBTC rules. We usually ask for a current tank journal so we can see that your system is suited to keep certain types of coral. General rules: You must be an active supporting member, usually must pass on 2 frags back to DBTC the same size or larger than what you received before you can do anything else with the coral. Each chain can have its own extra rules such as no selling at any time etc.

With that being said...
Welcome to BAR and thank you for becoming a supporting member. You'll find this will be the best investment you've made into the hobby. We have a collection of very experienced and knowledgeable reefers and are a very helpful community.

I'm located in Castro Valley and do offer new hobbyists who become supporting members a beginners frag pack. I'm located in Castro Valley. PM me your tank journal once it's up and let me know when you can stop by! I do ask that these corals be grown, loved, fragged and passed on to other new reefers and that they not be sold at anytime.

Last edited:
We have a really cool system called BARCODE, mess around with it to see if you can request through that. Most of the DBTC threads have a link to the BARCODE page that allows you to request a frag though it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to BAR! The coolest and most knowledgeable reef club around.

You can check our DBTC rules. We do ask for a current tank journal so we can see that your system is suited to keep certain types of coral. General rules: You must be an active supporting member, usually must pass on 2 frags back to DBTC the same size or larger than what you received before you can do anything else with the coral. Each chain can have its own extra rules such as no selling at any time etc.

With that being said...
Welcome to BAR and thank you for becoming a supporting member. You'll find this will be the best investment you've made into the hobby. We have a collection of very experienced and knowledgeable reefers and are a very helpful community.

I'm located in Castro Valley and do offer new hobbyists who become supporting members a beginners frag pack. I'm located in Castro Valley. PM me your tank journal once it's up and let me know when you can stop by! I do ask that these corals be grown, loved, fragged and passed on to other new reefers and that they not be sold at anytime.
Your awesome! Me and my girls will really enjoy taking care of anything we are given the opportunity to care for and I truly appreciate you offering a frag pack. I'll take you up on that as soon as I get my Tank Journal up and after the holidays of course. Thank you again and look forward to meeting you

Last edited:
IMHO
Thank you for becoming a $upporting member.
Please keep in mind that this is a place for information, comradeship, tools And support.
This not place if you’re just looking for free stuff. Those that do are very short lived in the hobby.
Reef keeping is of the most expensive hobbit’s to be involve in and most don’t last the first year.
Newbies that show up with their hands out for free stuff are frowned upon…heavily
You are very limited as to what fish can be ethically and comfortably housed in a 40 gallon aquarium.
Best fishes and happy reefing

IMHO
Thank you for becoming a $upporting member.
Please keep in mind that this is a place for information, comradeship, tools And support.
This not place if you’re just looking for free stuff. Those that do are very short lived in the hobby.
Reef keeping is of the most expensive hobbit’s to be involve in and most don’t last the first year.
Newbies that show up with their hands out for free stuff are frowned upon…heavily
You are very limited as to what fish can be ethically and comfortably housed in a 40 gallon aquarium.
Best fishes and happy reefing
I appreciate your honesty. I hear what your saying. I too am looking for comradeship and hoping to make new friends out of this more importantly, and to learn a lot more. I was in freshwater for 20 years and though there is a lot more work with reef, I think I'm up to it and ready for the challenge.
I appreciate those who already offered up stuff and I will do my part as a member to give back as well as provide info to others the best that I can. When I feel I can no longer do this or keep up, this site will be the first to know. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.
Nice to meet you btw and Happy Holidays.

Welcome! @Da_Neefer is another member that had extensive freshwater experience before getting salty, so definitely a good mentor for any watch outs or questions you might have.

Don't be afraid to search the forum and ask about anything you want to try before you buy/implement as there's a combined many centuries of experience here!

Welcome! @Da_Neefer is another member that had extensive freshwater experience before getting salty, so definitely a good mentor for any watch outs or questions you might have.

Don't be afraid to search the forum and ask about anything you want to try before you buy/implement as there's a combined many centuries of experience here!
I appreciate that. I will certainly help where I can and do my part, as well as tap into all this knowledge. Some of you may have noticed I just swung off the handles talking about looking for corals etc.. right off the bat, when in reality it was late yesterday and someone from Reef2Reef.com replied to me asking if I've heard of BAR which I hadn't. When I came to the site I was sooooo excited to see all the great info right off the bat and then more excited once someone pointed out the "Pay it forward Section" because honestly even in the fresh water hobby I was looking for that and never found it. When I found this I knew I had to be a member, partially because of the wealth of knowledge here but everyone seemed so welcoming :) So I paid the dues. The bonus is the comradery!

Yeah, what Kensington said.

3 months is still really early for a tank. They start to get stable at ~12 months and really take off at the ~18 month mark. Those of us in it for more than a few years have all seen new people with loads of excitement come and go from the hobby in months, not years. We are a wealth of knowledge, and are big proponents of supporting local fish stores in addition to trading/selling with each other. Do loads of research from many sources and you will find success. I am a little biased, but I tried to put some good information into my main tank journal on setup and keeping of my tank. Check it out and ask any questions you have. The Reef Beef podcast is another favorite of the club as a past president is 1/2 of the front of that show. My best advice is keep salinity, temperature, and alkalinity stable (in that order), then build out stability solutions from there. Create a journal so we can see what you are building and offer advice there too.

Welcome to the club, hopefully for the long haul.

Yeah, what Kensington said.

3 months is still really early for a tank. They start to get stable at ~12 months and really take off at the ~18 month mark. Those of us in it for more than a few years have all seen new people with loads of excitement come and go from the hobby in months, not years. We are a wealth of knowledge, and are big proponents of supporting local fish stores in addition to trading/selling with each other. Do loads of research from many sources and you will find success. I am a little biased, but I tried to put some good information into my main tank journal on setup and keeping of my tank. Check it out and ask any questions you have. The Reef Beef podcast is another favorite of the club as a past president is 1/2 of the front of that show. My best advice is keep salinity, temperature, and alkalinity stable (in that order), then build out stability solutions from there. Create a journal so we can see what you are building and offer advice there too.

Welcome to the club, hopefully for the long haul.
Appreciate the welcome. I will definitely be reaching out and posting lots of questions hopefully I don't get on anyone's nerves LOL. I still have a lot of questions and want to do this right . The 40 gallon tank I bought I got it for a steal, so I couldn't pass it up. I don't see myself going anywhere soon especially since I'm been in the fish hobby for so long already lol. The ocean has always called out to me so I think Reefing is right up my alley. So the plan is to get this tank stable, learn good/bad lessons from it and move up from there as most of you here I'm sure have done. I'd ultimately maybe 2-3 years down the road like to graduate to a 150 gallon tank but we will see what happens. Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the club!! What equipment do you have running on the 40? Lights/filtration etc is it a 40 breeder? Feel free to post a pic regardless if ur going through the ugliness stage lol. Also be careful on what you ask for their are some serious coral pushers on here which are hard to resist = overstocking
Best of luck on your adventure!
Paul

Back