Our mission

Hello from Stockton

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Stephen and live in Stockton CA out in the country. Just started my reef tank back in December and just added my first coral last Saturday. I am currently on R2R to help with my research about salt water aquariums. I found you guys on R2R and thought it would be a good idea to join BAR in order to get to know the local reefers.

Welcome!!! I'm pretty sure we have a couple members out your way. You might consider becoming a supporting member. That has been the best investment I've made into this hobby so far. You'll get access to the buy/sell/trade forums and you can participate in our amazing dbtc program.

I want to know too! Half of us are professional nerds, and the rest nerds by association.
I am also a professional nerd being an engineer at Microchip Inc.

Back in the 90's I had a reef setup in a 90 gallon display tank. Went on vacation and lost everything because the tank overheated even though I had a room AC and 1/4hp chiller. The Metal Halide lighting was just too hot and I swore to never have another reef setup until LED lighting was perfected. Needless to say I work for a company that produces LED drivers and knowing how far LED lighting has come decided this year was the year to get back to having the reef setup I Love so much.

My research started back in October and found may options for LED lighting so I decided it was time to get back into the salty side of aquariums. BRS has a lot of YouTube video's about setting up and taking care of salt water aquariums. My 36 gallon corner fresh water setup was the candidate for converting over to salt. After more research convinced the wife I needed some necessary supply's and Santa was the guy to ask. I watched the BRS video's on NSA and bare bottom vs sand, decided that I would do my own aqua scape and have sand for a more stable setup. For Christmas Santa brought me a 5 stage RODI system, 40lb of base rock and a bag of Carib Sea Agra-alive sand.

Here are some pictures of the base rock cycling with two snow flake clowns in the garage while I cleaned up the 36 gallon corner tank.(12/30/20)

134806502_239395431011860_5672737179736084856_n.jpg
134335651_391657048732756_291271614963150545_n.jpg

The BRS video's that Ryan and Randy produce are very informative, I was able to learn more about taking care of salt water reef tanks then ever before.
I learnt about all of the water parameters that honestly I never payed attention to before.

PH 7.8 to 8.3
Nitrates less than 3.0
Phosphates less than 0.07
Alkalinity 7.0 to 10
Calcium 410 to 440
Magnesium 1250 to 1350

All this science was involved and I had no clue back in the 90's. I was so excited to get my first coral but with all the research I had learnt says that was not going to happen any time soon.

As everyone says "Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank"

So I let my setup cycle slowly over the course of months.

Here is a picture of the setup once the tank was cleaned. (1-3-21)
135752210_158036112420467_2769456286118826129_n.jpg
136347241_681920755831996_8179205344727598908_n.jpg

I added the Caribsea Agra-Alive sand two weeks later along with a couple more fish. (Pic 3-21-21)
162506821_291062279307329_8063197985668827043_n.jpg

After the addition of the sand, my plan was to add lighting after my birthday in May so this would give me time to keep an eye on the water parameters, make sure the tank would be cycled and ready for coral. I also added a bottle of copepods to help with bio-diversity. The tank started to grow brown algae even though I had no lighting. Ordered the Hanna ULR phosphorous checker late in April. My first phosphate check came back with 2.5ppm. I could not believe it was so high but explains the brown algae. I did an 80% water change and added bright wells phosphate E and quickly got my reading down to below 0.07.

Now it is May and I added my lighting for my Birthday, the Relassy 300W LED dimmable coral reef light. One more power head for circulation since it is more important than lighting and one green Kryptonite Coral(Bottom Center). I also removed all fish and plan on getting a yellow watchman goby and maybe a few other utilitarian fish to help keep tank clean.

White/Blue Lowest intensity White Lowest intensity Blue Lowest intensity
185945731_3598627276910707_1544548059978570746_n.jpg
182985040_3016754738544355_1877677660437751074_n.jpg
184748701_949323265824294_7075101782624070074_n.jpg

I hope all my research has paid off and have little to few problems maintaining this tank. I must thank BRS and R2R for all the education about taking care of a reef setup. BRS also pointed me to R2R and they lead me to BAR. My user name is stephenwjr on R2R

Hope to get to know everyone and I will become a member here on BAR soon.

Ahh, personal research. I totally get it, I do lots myself both on BRS and here. Let us know if you come across any questions! Looks like a great start so far! Have you seeded your tank with pods yet? A few of us in the group can help with providing rubble if you want to go that route, there are placed online you can order from for rubble, or pods, whichever method you want to go.

Ahh, personal research. I totally get it, I do lots myself both on BRS and here. Let us know if you come across any questions! Looks like a great start so far! Have you seeded your tank with pods yet? A few of us in the group can help with providing rubble if you want to go that route, there are placed online you can order from for rubble, or pods, whichever method you want to go.
Yes I did get a 8oz bottle of pods from the local fish store(Carters) awhile back. Will be getting a algae barn shipment today of Poseidon's Feast & OceanMagik plankton along with some Red Ogo macro algae. This should help the bio diversity of my tank even more and hopefully will be able to add a ruby red dragonet or green mandarin to my tank in the near future.

Yes I did get a 8oz bottle of pods from the local fish store(Carters) awhile back. Will be getting a algae barn shipment today of Poseidon's Feast & OceanMagik plankton along with some Red Ogo macro algae. This should help the bio diversity of my tank even more and hopefully will be able to add a ruby red dragonet or green mandarin to my tank in the near future.
I would think twice about that fish specifically. They are maybe the most killed fish in the hobby due to the low cost, high color, and difficult eating habits. They would require either daily feeding of pods, or a very mature tank. I didn't get one until I had been running for over a year and could see pods out the wazoo in my substrate, and I still have lost a female recently after 10+ months of success with her. My male is going strong, but he has learned to eat frozen and anything else that gets dropped in the tank. It doesn't mean don't do it, just know what you are signing up for is all.

I have had really good growth with my ogo in my sump.

I would think twice about that fish specifically. They are maybe the most killed fish in the hobby due to the low cost, high color, and difficult eating habits. They would require either daily feeding of pods, or a very mature tank. I didn't get one until I had been running for over a year and could see pods out the wazoo in my substrate, and I still have lost a female recently after 10+ months of success with her. My male is going strong, but he has learned to eat frozen and anything else that gets dropped in the tank. It doesn't mean don't do it, just know what you are signing up for is all.

I have had really good growth with my ogo in my sump.
Very good advice, I was not planning to add that fish until I hit the one year mark. That is the reason for adding the copepods now to help them establish themselves.

Have been mostly off the forum for like a year a more so missed your welcome. I saw other posts - are you (and your full menagerie) by Collegeville? In-law family near there (driving thru today, actually). Small world!

Welcome to the club. I like that you are taking it slow and letting the system settle and mature before adding load.

If possible see if you can move the rocks away from the glass to make it easier to clean and get flow back there.

Back