Cali Kid Corals

Help Needed on Cyano Bloom

nihard

Supporting Member
I have run into a Cyano bloom. I treated with Chemiclean and did a 30% water change. But Cyano did not go away. My Phosphate is at 0.04 and Nitrate is reading 0.00. Please advise.

Attachments

• Cyano 1.jpg
    Cyano 1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Cyano 2.jpg
    Cyano 2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Cyano 3.jpg
    Cyano 3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 116
Siphon out as much as you can then dose chemiclean again. After 48 hrs do big water change (I usually try to do 40-50% waterchange). If you run a skimmer be sure to tune it down while running chemiclean as it'll skim crazy heavy with chemiclean in the system.

Usually any outbreak issue treatment is best started with manual removal of as much as possible then treat with products directly after removal. After treatment, work on bringing up your nitrates a bit. 0 can lead to cyano and/or dinos easily.

I have run into a Cyano bloom. I treated with Chemiclean and did a 30% water change. But Cyano did not go away. My Phosphate is at 0.04 and Nitrate is reading 0.00. Please advise.
Are you sure it's cyano? Happy to get you a definitive ID if you're near San Jose and want to give me a water sample.

Are you sure it's cyano? Happy to get you a definitive ID if you're near San Jose and want to give me a water sample.
This would be a good idea. Also if OP could get a picture under white light it would be easier for us to see it. Hard to really tell what it is under blue light.

I would appreciate if you can ID it . I'll be in San Jose are tomorrow and if you are available I can bring the water sample.
I'll be at the bowl of pho event, but should otherwise be home. I'll shoot you a pm with my phone number and we can coordinate a drop off.

Feed more or your gonna bottom out. If that happens and your using chemiclean. Dinos will follow.
Seconding this. An informal survey I did a while ago, coupled with scouring the Reef2reef dino threads, seemed to lend weight to the notion that undetectable phosphates predisposed a tank to developing dinoflagellates. It's by no means causative, but each of the times my tanks have gotten dinoflagellates it's been at a time of limited nutrients.

Back