Neptune Aquatics

How bad is high ph, and how high is high?

Meshmez

Supporting Member
So I'm out of town, and the PH on my frag tank is creeping up. It's currently at 8.61...

How likely is it that this is really bad? Only coral in the tank. Not really much I can do at this point. Tank is on kalk topoff, but since it's a gradual rise I assume it's not from ato stuck on.

Screenshot_20200808-222932_Apex Fusion.jpg

Likely you are having high alk too, when i raised my alk, ph skyrocketed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Likely you are having high alk too, when u raised my alk, ph skyrocketed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm hoping not. My display is also seeing a similar PH rise, but it runs lower to begin with (no kalk) so I'm less worried about it. I have a Trident on the display and it shows everything is OK, if not lower alk.

Could be in part because nobody’s home pumping c02 into the air constantly too
Ya I assume it's that plus algae not getting cleaned from glass and such... Wondering if I should shut lights off for a day. I guess my main concern is if everything else is OK (parameters) is the 8.6 ph or higher going to kill coral. It's down to 8.4 overnight.

I’d also mention that the Apex pH probe will drift over time, so it may not be as high as it seems. I’m not referring to the drift upwards you are seeing over a couple days, that is likely from no one breathing around the tank. I’m talking about maybe it is 0.2 pH units lower than your reading at every point. I had that exact thing happen to me, and we I recalibrated everything made more sense. Try recalibrating when you get back.

I’d also mention that the Apex pH probe will drift over time, so it may not be as high as it seems. I’m not referring to the drift upwards you are seeing over a couple days, that is likely from no one breathing around the tank. I’m talking about maybe it is 0.2 pH units lower than your reading at every point. I had that exact thing happen to me, and we I recalibrated everything made more sense. Try recalibrating when you get back.
Was gonna say the same. I had a 8.6 reading. Recalibrated and allnwas back to normal... and th en it drifted again. Might be the probe at the end of its life. Or time to recondition it if you are willing to play with HCl acid. KCl works too but requires heating for about an hour...

I ended up cutting lighting for a few hours the last couple days just in case, which seemed to keep it more in check. Will be home this afternoon, hopefully all is well. May recalibrate, though I did a few months ago. Definitely seems to be a aeration related ph change rather than alk though, so hopefully that's a good sign!

It’s like $450 for the unit so better than trident or khd. I’m not sure what the Neptune reagent prices are but I got a roughly 6 month supply for $50 for the khg
You don't have to have a doser to run it? I was under the impression that it needed it?

You don't have to have a doser to run it? I was under the impression that it needed it?
All the dosers are built in, and if you buy the new version the khg pro which is what I have, it includes a dosing pump which you can use to dose a one part alk solution automatically

The KHG is by far the best kept secret in this hobby. The whole experience with my ya k changed completely once I got it. Way more peace of mind and so much more stability

Back