Cali Kid Corals

How to add a 2nd sump to an existing sump?

How can I add a 2nd sump(refugium) to an existing sump, I don't have room for the 2nd sump to be higher than the existing one, it will be side by side to the existing sump. I'm wondering how I'd go about plumbing them together.

elevate the first sump 1"-2" higher than the second and use two 2" bulkheads to connect them. I did that with and it works out very effectively!

If it’s just for a fuge then why not go algae scrubber or reactor? Seems easier
I want to add a bunch of live rock and would rather deal with that in a separate tank that has no equipment in it. Also was thinking of using a 20g petco tank, can those be drilled? If so what side would I drill it from?

Just curious what's the purpose of having extra live rocks hidden? If for filtration purpose only, won't those bio brick be better?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-193159__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-193159__01.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 128
I want to add a bunch of live rock and would rather deal with that in a separate tank that has no equipment in it. Also was thinking of using a 20g petco tank, can those be drilled? If so what side would I drill it from?
Usually yes. You have to check with polarized glasses to make sure the side you want to drill isn’t tempered.

Just curious what's the purpose of having extra live rocks hidden? If for filtration purpose only, won't those bio brick be better?
I keep large amounts of live rock and crushed coral in my sump to act as additional filtration, additional space for pods, and I always have a place to glue a zoa frag.

The bio bricks are known to break down over a year or so and turn to powdery mush, where rock does not.

I'm currently building a new tank(frag system) as I'm doing that I'm trying to sell my 100g system. If it doesn't get sold by the time I setup my new tank I'll move as much rocks into separate tanks and plumb them to the new system. That's the idea.

At one point in time, I commissioned Keith Grant to build a 2 part acrylic sump for me for the 4 gallon Miracles tank, which was then transferred over to the 10G afterwards. The larger of the two sat below the tank with most of the equipment with the secondary sump sitting next to the tank, where the Tunze skimmer was housed.

1623980561083.png

1623980617826.png

1623980629330.png

Actually that's how old you can tell those pictures were. I haven't used a stamp in a long time since I didn't want to keep updating the years in the stamp out of laziness.

How did you solve this?

My sump is a 29 G glass tank with a plastic storage bin shoved in it. It was temporary. That's 10 years ago. I had a nice sump but I made the mistake of buying my tank with someone else's DIY stand which used so much wood that I couldn't physically maneuver the sump under it. I had measured and figured out the max size/footpring for a sump that I never built and a friend suggested taking the approach of making two sumps that could fit one at a time into the stand, and then connecting them. In theory I could even just cut the acrylic to the right size and then assemble (permanently) the sump in the stand. Or I could make the two acryclic sumps and cement them together. But using a bulkhead or overflow gives me more room for error.

Did you go ahead with your plans?

Back