got ethical husbandry?

How to Deal With Evaporation in Room With Aquarium

99sf

How do those of you with relatively large tanks deal with evaporation and avoid any mildew appearing in the room during the winter? Ceiling fans? Always leave windows partially open? Only have the canopy fans running while the MH lights are running? Gresham mentioned an exhaust fan through the roof, but that's not an option for renters.

In my mega fishroom/landry room I usually keep a window or door open to make sure there's a constant breeze through the room, a few days ago it was really bad though when it started to rain, and the humidity didn't get a chance to go away, hell the linolium was soaked it was so bad. No mildew as I can tell yet though, but it's going to be fast coming if I don't fix in some mechanical exhaust.

Don't have a large tank but still get a good amount of evap. The room gets well ventilated - just windows during the day when it's not raining. Small dehumidifier when indoor humidity reaches x%.

basically an air conditioning unit, except that it reheats the air that passes through it. So wouldn't surprise me if it used more electricity than an AC.

Easy actually.

Look up a product called "damp rid"

Now, look up diy damp rid.

Now, check out the active ingredient. You should already have it for your tank. It's calcium chloride.

You can recharge in the oven or use as 2 part.

It's reefing full cycle.

I've just come to accept the living room area is the most humid area of the house and over 4 years I haven't seen any mildew or related damage, although I haven 't inspected everywhere. out of sight out of mind I guess.

I hate dealing with the "M" words (mildew, mold, moisture) especially when my wife brings it up. I crack the window open at night to keep all that stuff down.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I decided to leave the ceiling fan on low, and keep some of the windows cracked to allow the humidity to decrease.

Back