High Tide Aquatics

How to Fix Rusty Light Mount?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Are light mount replacement feet made? This is a Current Orbit LED bar.
rustylight.jpg

Definently take it out so it doesnot drop I'm the water and contaminate it...
I would take it out, clean it with white viniger, sand it off a bit to remove all the rust layer then again with white viniger. Then clean it with water then dry it very well..

I'm sure you could bend something similar with wire, and have very little worry since it appears you aren't stretching over the tank with it. My biggest worry would be additional corrosion though, maybe even galvanic corrosion is occurring there. That said, as he said, clean it off, hit it with a wire brush and sand it down (not sure vinegar would do anything to that), then when it's cleaned up hit it with a spray of Krylon fusion or something to try and protect it.

Actually I have used bars from home depot that fit the ap700 perfectly and I think will fot your light... I remember I could not use their hanging kit and needed something longer.
At home depot there is a section where they have pre cut metal bars (iron, aluminum and steel) with diffrent lengths and diameters.
Just fyi incase you go this route...
I think I still have the ap700 hanging kit(same one you have now), i remember i have 4 laying around somehwere. If i find it woild you like to have it?

Actually I have used bars from home depot that fit the ap700 perfectly and I think will fot your light... I remember I could not use their hanging kit and needed something longer.
At home depot there is a section where they have pre cut metal bars (iron, aluminum and steel) with diffrent lengths and diameters.
Just fyi incase you go this route...
I think I still have the ap700 hanging kit(same one you have now), i remember i have 4 laying around somehwere. If i find it woild you like to have it?
I don't follow. I don't know what a hanging kit contains/looks like and haven't looked closely at an AP700. I'll give the rusty parts a cleaning as soon as I can and see if I can slide the mount out of the holes. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't follow. I don't know what a hanging kit contains/looks like and haven't looked closely at an AP700. I'll give the rusty parts a cleaning as soon as I can and see if I can slide the mount out of the holes. Thanks for the suggestions.
Its exactly like the metal piece you are showing in your pictures when ap700 was released they released 2 types of hanging kit with it. One of which is similar to the one you are using, a rest on tank hanging kit.
I think they all use similar diameters..I think.
Yeh I would clean it, and sand it to peel the rust layer. Just inspect and make sure the bars are still strong enough and the rust has not corroded the metal too much

There’s a product normally sold at antique car shows; developped for use on ships and submarines, I believe is under the trade mark of Por15; it brushes on.
Eastwood sells it online and advertised also on Hemmings Motor News magazine

Back