Kessil

How to increase photoperiod

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
Until recently I had my lights on at 12 pm and off at 8 pm with no ramp up or down period, just the full spectrum that I’ve got for daylight. I wanted to add a bit of a ramp up and down, mainly to have some time of the day when it’s all blues and violets for that coral pop. If I have those at relatively low intensity, can I just add on an hour or two to the end of the light cycle? Or should I be dialing back the intensity say the last hour of my light cycle or so to compensate for the increased couple hours of light.

My corals have been fine with what you’re describing. I ramp up around noon, start ramping -down intensity and boost blues around 8-9, until midnight. Then I run reds (“darkroom” mode) until 1AM for the fun of that. Total photoperiod about 12 hrs; 8 at my full intensity (60% of my light).

Ok cool that’s pretty much what I was going for. Totally photoperiod of about 12 Hours with 8 hours at max. Did you slowly acclimate up to that or just tack on hours before and after?

If you’re adding lower intensity from 8-midnight and at the beginning of day, I don’t think you’ll have any problems. Where I’ve run into trouble with light is when I place coral in high PAR zones and they bleach.

Adding low intensity blue periods in the AM and PM is safe and a fun way to extend your viewing time.

Mine ramps up and down with deep blues, and is more white midday, with moonlight on all night.

1614439769546.png

1614439826767.png

Back