Jestersix

I need an engineer

So, can anyone tell me why it’s impossible to find a 120v plug in solenoid that’s normally open that can hook up to 1/2” RO tubing? And one that won’t restrict the airflow significantly? And is safe for a damp environment?

I’ve been looking for months and am frustrated.

I need one to be controlled by my apex to turn my co2 scrubber on and off. My ph had been hitting 8.65 during the day with the scrubber and that’s a bit much. So I just want it to be running the co2 scrubber when the ph hits 8.4.

Why not just use the one that apex makes and then put the 1/2" line around the solenoid. Here's a picture I found on R2R of someone who set one up and said it works fine. I am planning on doing the same but haven't quite gotten to that part of the build yet
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.47.13 PM.png

Hmm. Looks like it’ll restrict flow. And I think they are normally closed.

Also, how do those hook up to the system?
All solniod including the one referenced work the same way. They are normally closed and they need dc voltage to open, usually 24v The one Neptune use, can be supplied by one of the modules that can supply 24v like link or atk.
I personally do not trust that one cause it have caused me issues in the past where the module lock up and cause the solniod to be in lock state or open state..
I would trust hooking a solniod to its dedicated power source that are also available. Basically a simple power supply that give the voltage required to the solniod.
There are some higher end solniods you can use almost all come with their power supply...
Check my thread called 3/4" solniod, a user on bar iloffered to sell me some he had bunch of solniods with diffrent fittings.
It will be much safer than hooking Neptune solniod to an RODI to tell you the truth..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Btw from the research I did, apparently all solniods can go bad..maintaining them require frequent cleaning so heada up

I think I need to design a co2 scrubbing system that includes everything needed to hook up to a skimmer, be safe, and maintain any desired ph level.

I think I need to design a co2 scrubbing system that includes everything needed to hook up to a skimmer, be safe, and maintain any desired ph level.
I used and still using co2 scrubber for years.tried many many things. I will tell you from now, the solniod addition to it is really not worth it. You do not save much on the media. You better have a good co2 scrubber reactor that will not restrict the air intake of the skimmer otherwise you end up sacrificing skimmer performance.
Even if you sdd the solniod you will realise that you will need to have it open almost 18 to 20 hours out of the 24 hours. You quickly realise you are not saving that much...

If you want to try anyway, just get a better solniod and connect its transformer to one of your controller outlets or put it on a timer..

My issue is that my ph gets way too high with the scrubber so I need to turn it off during the day.

If I leave it off the ph will drop to 7.7 after a couple days, and then growth will halt. But with it, I can stay at 8.4-8.65 24/7. I just need to go scrubberless during the last few hours of the day.

That’s why I want a normally-open valve. This way it’s only on for a few hours of the day.

My issue is that my ph gets way too high with the scrubber so I need to turn it off during the day.

If I leave it off the ph will drop to 7.7 after a couple days, and then growth will halt. But with it, I can stay at 8.4-8.65 24/7. I just need to go scrubberless during the last few hours of the day.

That’s why I want a normally-open valve. This way it’s only on for a few hours of the day.

I really doubt this is the case. Scrubber can only improve the ph to the ph buffer value of your salt mix. All what scrubber is doing is injecting less co2 content to your water.
Check your ph measurments.
If indeed your ph is so high check salinity cause just reducing the co2 on the skimmer air inlet cannot push your ph above what your salt mix can..
Putting aside the ph values, if you want to artificially drop your ph using scrubber you can have the solniod transformer on a timer or on your controller outlet.
But again I doubt your scrubber is pushing your ph almost full digit..

My media last 5-6 weeks. That’s not the issue. Just trying to keep from nuking my tank with a super high ph.
I cannot imagin how removing some co2 content from your skimmer inlet cause your ph to go above regular salt mix....

How are you measuring ph?
I have good hannah hand help ph prob that after calibrating it it gives solid results. I can lend it to you if you like

Ph is 8.6 right now. Recently replaced and recalibrated my ph probe because I thought I was getting bad readings.

New probe gives same readings as the last one.

Trust me, it’s a high ph.

Salinity is 1.026

Ph is 8.6 right now. Recently replaced and recalibrated my ph probe because I thought I was getting bad readings.

New probe gives same readings as the last one.

Trust me, it’s a high ph.

Salinity is 1.026
Wow, first time.i ever hear such high ph without adding buffer.
What salt mix you use?

Do this
Take some water outside the tank in a clean container then test that water sample using your prob then using a trusted probe. Again I can lend you my hannah hand help ph prob if you like.

I lied. It’s 8.45 from the probe right now because I have the scrubber off line.

API year shows 8.4 ish as well

Can’t upload because I’ve got my limit on Tapatalk. I’ll go on the site.

Back