Kessil

I want to buy a Six Line Wrasse quarantine question

Alexx

Supporting Member
I really want to have a six line wrasse in my system, but not sure what to do.
Currently I have a 10galon tank with a large live rock and some plastic tubing and I wanted to know if I can quarantine the fish over there or the tank is to small.
Any special needs that this fish might need like food? I also heard that I need sand but I don't have sand so not sure what to do now...

Is he going to eat my shrimp, crab, or hermit crab?

Also what other things I can do to get a six line wrasse? I will also need to figure out a store where I can go and buy one.

dochou

Supporting Member
Most people say they are aggressive. I've had 2 and they were fine. They didn't eat any inverts. If you want to keep a wrasse in the quarantine that needs a sand bed, just put a bowl of sand in there. I think the 10 gal QT would be fine. Just make sure you have a cover on it, so that it can't jump out.

iCon

Supporting Member
I had one that was peaceful, but this experience was definitely the exception. Consider the cryptic / pink streak wrasse. Also consider if you’re doing more harm than good during QT. IME, wrasses are much less likely to carry disease than some other fish. Curious if any wrasse masters feel the same way?

Bruce Spiegelman

Supporting Member
I had one that was peaceful, but this experience was definitely the exception. Consider the cryptic / pink streak wrasse. Also consider if you’re doing more harm than good during QT. IME, wrasses are much less likely to carry disease than some other fish. Curious if any wrasse masters feel the same way?
Wrasses are (in general) more resistant to many diseases from both my experience and my reading.

Bruce Spiegelman

Supporting Member
Most people say they are aggressive. I've had 2 and they were fine. They didn't eat any inverts. If you want to keep a wrasse in the quarantine that needs a sand bed, just put a bowl of sand in there. I think the 10 gal QT would be fine. Just make sure you have a cover on it, so that it can't jump out.
How old were yours? What size were they? How long did you have them? What other fish? Male or female?

tankguy

Supporting Member
I’ve had very few issues with wrasses in qt. Occasional internal parasite here and there but mostly I’ve had pretty good luck. I second the pink streak wrasse instead of a six line. I have one and it’s a nice looking fish

Flagg37

Supporting Member
I had one in my first tank (a 29 gallon). He was pretty small when I got him. I think this is key to finding one that isn’t aggressive, but there’s no way to keep him from getting bigger and getting more aggressive. He was also my first fish that I ever had that jumped out.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
The few times I added these guys they turned aggressive with smaller shrimp and bullied couple fish... I think swiming space, enough food and hiding areas are important to manage aggression.

Good luck..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rygh

Webmaster
Staff member
I would probably do bucket tank transfer method for QT, for a week, just to be safe, but no extended QT time.
You can even put a bit of sand in the bucket each time. Just throw it out.
No need to fill bucket full for a small fish like that either.

If you have a tank full of other aggressive fish, a six-line is probably a good addition.
But if you have some peaceful fish, about the same size and look, that does not seem like a good choice.

Alexx

Supporting Member
I got a small Six line wrass and is in the qt tank with a coral beuty so far is doing good but only been there for 1 day :D
It has plenty hiding spots and live rock