Neptune Aquatics

Invited Speaker for 2020

JVU

President
BOD
We would like to have one or more invited speakers for BAR events in 2020. I’d like to get member’s thoughts on who might be a great speaker to visit us, so we can get started on planning.

Also, if you have suggestions for venue/format/etc, especially if you’ve seen things work well or not-so-well previously, I’d love to hear it.

Here is a speaker that I suggested a few years ago to the club. Mark C, and I have talked multiple times at MACNA and when he stopped by the office this year and he was still interested to speaking for us.

Mr Saltwater Tank' Mark Callahan Guest Speaker

Here is Mark's email address, if you do not get a response from him after a little bit of time let me know and I will get a different way to get a hold of him
info@mrsaltwatertank.com

Plus his Bio, website, and YouTube channel
http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrsaltwatertank

There is a central theme in Mark’s life: WATER. WATER. WATER.

mark-head-shot-196x300.png

Growing up in Tennessee meant trips to the local lakes and rivers on the family ski boat. Spring break was always spent in Hawaii cruising the reefs and forever ingraining memories of the beauty of the ocean on his mind.

Mark’s first tank was the typical goldfish bowl. 1 gallon of water, some multicolored gravel in the bottom, a plastic plant and 1 fish. Seeing his keen interest in fish, his parents quickly upgraded him to a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium. When he turned 9, his father announced it was time to upgrade to “the real thing” – a 75 gallon saltwater tank.

Jump ahead 22 years, and Mark maintains a 375 gallon tank and mrsaltwatertank.com, a website dedicated to taking the confusion out of setting up and maintaining a saltwater tank.

Mark also is the creator and star of Mr. Saltwater Tank TV a web-based TV show that not only entertains audiences, but educates them as well.

Since starting Mr. Saltwater Tank TV in 2010, Mark has created over 260 Mr. Saltwater Tank TV episodes resulting in over 11,400,000 views worldwide. The show has attracted 50,000+ YouTube subscribers and 47,500 + fans on Facebook.

In addition to Mr. Saltwater Tank TV, Mark has authored and co-authored 6 books on including The No-Nonsense Guide to Setting Up A Saltwater Tank Volume One and Volume Two, The Ultimate Guide to Saltwater Tank Cruise Control, The No-Nonsense Guide to Preventing and Curing Nuisance Algae Outbreaks, The No-Nonsense Guide to Marine Fish Diseases, Treatments and Quarantine, and Pre-Travel Planning and Preparation: A Pocket Guide for Saltwater Tank Owners His writing also includes 5 authored or co-authored articles for international magazines such as Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Marine Habitat Magazine.

Public appearances include speaking at major fish trade shows – The Marine Aquarium Conference Of North America (2012 and 2013), Marine Aquarium Expo (2011-2015) and the Seattle Marine Aquarium Expo and ReefStock

Mark also takes Mr. Saltwater Tank TV on the road as he’s covered major saltwater aquarium trade shows including Marine Aquarium Expo (MAX), Seattle Marine Aquarium Expo (SEAMAX), Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), and Reefstock

When he isn’t traveling or working, Mark maintains a 450 gallon mixed reef tank and spends time with his wife, 6 yr old son, 2 yr old daughter and his pug named Bart.

Jon

Any other suggestions? This is a great opportunity to hear directly from well-known successful reefers and thought leaders in the reef community.

Don’t know what the budget is for bringing someone but what about Eliot Lim from Marine Collectors in LA, he could potentially talk about fish qt and diseases as well as sourcing and caring for rarer fish.

Reactions: JVU
We have some funds to fly people in and house them if needed.

Some great suggestions here. If anyone else has ideas, keep them coming, and I’m going to start reaching out to people soon. If anyone has direct contact info, PM it to me. Thanks!

We would like to have one or more invited speakers for BAR events in 2020. I’d like to get member’s thoughts on who might be a great speaker to visit us, so we can get started on planning.

Also, if you have suggestions for venue/format/etc, especially if you’ve seen things work well or not-so-well previously, I’d love to hear it.
I vote for Joseph Caparatta owner of Unique Corals as guest speaker and down stream a private tour of Unique Corals facility for our members during LA Reef Polooza week.

I vote for Joseph Caparatta owner of Unique Corals as guest speaker and down stream a private tour of Unique Corals facility for our members during LA Reef Polooza week.
Oh yeh joe would be a great one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"Acro Al" from Australia. I'd like to learn how to breed clams.

Instead of letting COVID cancel our plans to host speakers, we are setting up Zoom-format BAR speaker presentations. Here is the list so far, please reply with speakers and topic(s) you’d like to be considered by end of day Sat. 9/26.

Joe Caparatta, Unique Corals: topic? (Suggested by @wfong)

Rich Ross and/or Terrence from Neptune, hosts of the Skimmate podcast: Topic TBD?(suggested by @ofzakaria, @coralreefer)

Eli Meyer, Aquabiomics: talk on tank microbiome and how to improve it (suggested by @Chromis)

(The guys from), Legendary Corals: running a coral business (suggested by @coralreefer)

John, YourReef: running a coral business (suggested by @coralreefer)

Eliot Lim, Marine Collectors: Possibly topic on quarantining/treating diseases in marine fish, sourcing and caring for rarer fish (suggested by @pbh-reef)

Mark Callahan, “Mr Saltwater Tank”: Maybe a topic he’s written a book on, “The no-nonsense guide to preventing and curing nuisance algae outbreaks” (suggested by @jonmos75)

John Coppolino, expert hobbyist: Maybe a talk on his super-tank setup? Or adventures collecting and keeping dwarf angelfish? (Suggested by @Wlachnit)

“Acro Al” from Australia - topic: clam breeding/husbandry (suggested by @EBJ)

Vincent Chalias, Indonesia mariculture: Corals’ natural habitat and should we try to imitate it or best it in our aquariums? (Suggested by @Chromis)

Dr. Tim Hovanec, Dr.Tim’s Aquatics: tank cycling, diatoms, dinos (crystophytes?) (Suggested by @ofzakaria)

Charles Delbeek, Curator, Steinhart Aquarium: topic?

Julian Sprung, book author: topic?

Randy Holmes-Farley, chemist/Reef2Reef chemistry forum expert - BAR Q&A, trace elements functions? (Suggested by @Oakland Evan)

Someone who can speak on what trace elements do (for coral coloration, other biological processes) - ideas?
- I found Craig Bingman in past BAR speakers, who else might be a good speaker for this topic?

Also - does anyone from BAR volunteer to moderate popular topic discussions over Zoom? Ideas:
1. Programming Apex (participants bring both questions and tips)
2. @Corallus ?, DSLR-specific tank photography (repeat talk from Aug 2020 - hey, the slides are already done right?)

Last edited:
Instead of letting COVID cancel our plans to host speakers, we are setting up Zoom-format BAR speaker presentations. Here is the list so far, please reply with speakers and topic(s) you’d like to be considered by end of day Sat. 9/26.

Joe Caparatta, Unique Corals: topic? (Suggested by @wfong)

Rich Ross and/or Terrence from Neptune, hosts of the Skimmate podcast: Topic TBD?(suggested by @ofzakaria, @coralreefer)

Eli Meyer, Aquabiomics: talk on tank microbiome and how to improve it (suggested by @Chromis)

(The guys from), Legendary Corals: running a coral business (suggested by @coralreefer)

John, YourReef: running a coral business (suggested by @coralreefer)

Eliot Lim, Marine Collectors: Possibly topic on quarantining/treating diseases in marine fish, sourcing and caring for rarer fish (suggested by @pbh-reef)

Mark Callahan, “Mr Saltwater Tank”: Maybe a topic he’s written a book on, “The no-nonsense guide to preventing and curing nuisance algae outbreaks” (suggested by @jonmos75)

John Coppolino, expert hobbyist: Maybe a talk on his super-tank setup? Or adventures collecting and keeping dwarf angelfish? (Suggested by @Wlachnit)

“Acro Al” from Australia - topic: clam breeding/husbandry (suggested by @EBJ)

Vincent Chalias, Indonesia mariculture: Corals’ natural habitat and should we try to imitate it or best it in our aquariums? (Suggested by @Chromis)

Someone who can speak on what trace elements do (for coral coloration, other biological processes) - ideas?
- I found Craig Bingman in past BAR speakers, who else might be a good speaker for this topic?

Also - does anyone from BAR volunteer to moderate popular topic discussions over Zoom? Ideas:
1. Programming Apex (participants bring both questions and tips)
2. @Corallus ?, DSLR-specific tank photography (repeat talk from Aug 2020 - hey, the slides are already done right?)
Correction I did not suggest either:)
I would however suggest Joseph from unique coral and can coordinate with him if needed. I will think of who else and out here.

Last edited:
Back