Cali Kid Corals

Joe's Reef Journey

Took this photo with a 50mm 0.98 Aperture. The shallow depth of field gives an interesting look.

DSC01290b_SM.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing, it is lots of info to take in. Just to make sure, I think I will stop using it for now and see if there are any improvements in the coloration and health of the corals.

The EPA just came in an did a surprise inspection on where vibrant is made.

Took some more pictures today. Sony a7II + 50mm 0.98 & 24-70mm 2.8 EF were used. Shallow depth of field if not the most ideal lens for reef tank photography but it provides an interesting unusual look. :)
111.JPG

The presentation of the aquascape is not as nice without sandbed, but I am happy that my tank is running so much cleaner without detritus build-up.
333.JPG

Lower the saturation quite a lot but maybe it is a bit too desaturated. I think the corals are looking more colorful in reality than the picture.
444.JPG

Another desaturated picture :).
777_cr.jpg

Top-down shot of the OG bounce. It has shrunk quite a bit after it was taken out of the water to provide a bigger base.
DSC01381.JPG

Took some more pictures today. Sony a7II + 50mm 0.98 & 24-70mm 2.8 EF were used. Shallow depth of field if not the most ideal lens for reef tank photography but it provides an interesting unusual look. :)
View attachment 37342

The presentation of the aquascape is not as nice without sandbed, but I am happy that my tank is running so much cleaner without detritus build-up.
View attachment 37343

Lower the saturation quite a lot but maybe it is a bit too desaturated. I think the corals are looking more colorful in reality than the picture.
View attachment 37344

Another desaturated picture :).
View attachment 37345

Top-down shot of the OG bounce. It has shrunk quite a bit after it was taken out of the water to provide a bigger base.
View attachment 37346
Great pics, I might need to commission a photography session with you and my tank!

Just finished the weekly water test and noticed the low alk. Tested 3 times using different test kits but the result was the same.
The culprit was the disconnected doser tubing. I modified and made the fit much tighter.

1651944781329.png

1651944795158.png

Update 5/21

Installed bulkhead RO connector on the dosing containers.
1653177191899.png

Installation done.
1653178019017.png

A new addition: green scolymia :) I picked this one over more colorful (same price) ones because I wanted to add nice green color next to the red cynarina.
1653177206675.png

The shot was taken today. Thinking about replacing the green-purple frogspawn colony with a more bright LPS.
1653176823475.png

A couple of videos:
Polyp extention of green mille.
1653177837923.png

Long tentacle green toadstool
1653177888056.png

Update 06/10/22

One major change has been the improved color and polyp extension of the acros after raising PO4 level by adding more fish and feeding more.

PO4 before - 0.0 to 0.03
PO4 nowadays - 0.03 to 0.07
1654901202977.png

Not the biggest fan of the look of the bare bottom. Thinking about adding super thin sandbed but it will be painful to clean.
1654901320281.png

FTS today. The OG bounce has been moved to the rockwork and has a protective shield as the new clownfish are trying to rub against it. So the aqua scaping is still a work in progress. :(
1654901732675.png

Thank you. Here is my fish list.

Blue damsel x 1
Lemon damsel x 1
Talbot damsel x 2
Rolland damsel x 2
Azure damsel x 2
Black bar chromis x 2
Vanderbuilt chromis x 1
Clownfish x 2
Royal gramma x 2
Blue tang :)
16 fish!!

Feeding video clip:
1655248099305.png

Last edited:
Thats a lot of Damsels! Forgot the Hippo Tang in your count. shhh, Tang Police be watching.

What is the Zoa with the green center, red rim? I would like to locate some of those.

Thats a lot of Damsels! Forgot the Hippo Tang in your count. shhh, Tang Police be watching.

What is the Zoa with the green center, red rim? I would like to locate some of those.
Lol Sharp eyes! I updated the list. I got it when it was tiny but it grows so fast! I think I will have to say goodbye to the fish soon.
The zoa you pointed out is the goblin eye zoa which is one of my favorites. Emerald on fire is a similar one, it has a green ring in the center.

Lol Sharp eyes! I updated the list. I got it when it was tiny but it grows so fast! I think I will have to say goodbye to the fish soon.
The zoa you pointed out is the goblin eye zoa which is one of my favorites. Emerald on fire is a similar one, it has a green ring in the center.
Let me know if you ever frag it or where yah got it.

Back