Reef nutrition

kessil

houser

Past President
Just wondering what the word is on Kessil LED's.
I'm very familiar with them in the hydro world having run one for the last 5 months.
Today I walked into AAF in Concord (which I often do when I need to blow off steam at work) and saw this. Twin Kessil ocean blues I believe 150W. A while back I heard they were coming to market. If they consent I'll measure the PAR next time I drop by.

d34f8c6d.jpg

They just emailed about getting a booth at BAYMAC.

I had never heard of them before either, but if they are local, I think they may have tried to contact me last year via a friend that is working with them.

Well they're certainly in the hydroponics industry.
Multichip form factor.
The packaging is very nice. PFB - which stands for Pretty #^@*!%^ Bright. Definitely could spotlight a little cube great. Hear 250W version coming but you probably know more than me now G.

Probably is the same people then... local and in the hydro side.

Not that I care but really?

I'm thinking of adding some LEDs to my tank to extend the photoperiod but not necessarily the intensity. These are nice in that I can hang high in the enclosure and the spotlight effect isnt too bad. Either way I'm going to borrow some and try them out. I put the Kessil magenta over the tank once and of course it looked shitty but I got the idea of what the spread was like.
I suppose I just like pendants that diverge enough over a longer distance.

Those little things look tempting but price wise?
I would place them at each end of the tank angled as to mimic sunrise/sunset effect on separate timers.
One LED unit comes on at x time, then a MH1, LED1 off; high noon both MH's on, MH1 off, MH2 on and last LED2 on.
So many things on the market so little cash...

Well regardless of the brand, tell the aquarium store they need to do a better job with wiring! :D I don't know if it's just me but it looks like the wires are pulled under the fixture over the water and down the back? Or am I just imagining things?

xcaret said:
At that price (SRP) is tempting, very tempting
I'll look forward seeing them at BayMAC

BAYMAC ;)

They have only contacted us, they have not pulled the trigger :D

Wow, that price is rather amazingly low.
That is lower than you can DIY using standard Cree parts.
Quick comparison: 150W of XP-G LEDs, driven at 5W, $7 each, is about $210.
That does not include heatsinks/drivers/supply, and most people do not drive at 5W.

Two concerns:
1) Are they using really cheap LEDs + drivers, to get the cost down?
Although not necessarily a bad tradeoff. Depends on how cheap.
2) The small form factor is an interesting cooling problem.
Hard to make it small + quiet + robust long term in aquarium environment.

Very intriguing though.

Umm, that Kessil light uses a single 30W multi-emitter chip, not 150W worth of LED... it's probably their way of saying "look this is 150W of halides"

That said two of these vs a Ecoxotic photon cannon, similar price (at least the 50W version).. I do hope they pull the trigger though, one thing that I found really cool about Reefapalooza was the number of LED vendors there, so you can see their products in action rather than just going by a nice pamphlet that they whipped up.

Ahh. That 30W number makes a lot more sense.

I saw this : "with their Kessil A150w fixture."
And misinterpreted as "with their Kessil, a 150W fixture."

IMO: Rather deceptive marketing. (Quietly not blaming myself for not reading carefully)

Back