Neptune Aquatics

Kinetic ELOS 120XL

Here's a quick look at the front half of the house including where the tank will be going. For those who've been to my place and seen how small it is, this is going to be a big improvement on the living space. Kitchen was tiny and behind a wall. Anyway, this is the new drawing that is pretty accurate in dimensions:

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 12.28.40.png

The light grey area around the tank is the space I'm planning for the contractor to add floor support (so it'll be extended past the tank's footprint).
The grey "line" above the tank is a 2x4 ceiling support for hanging lights.
The tank is a footprint of 48"x30" (yes, I didn't account for some extra space between tank and wall in this drawing).

talking about the placement, it's more or less a peninsula, though the ratio is kind of boxy. It gives 3' of space to walk to the bathroom, and it ends at the same depth of the "top" cabinets in the kitchen. The height of the stand will also match the countertop height in the kitchen. It'll look pretty seamless.

In addition, I'm thinking of putting an electrical powered "blind" that will retract into the ceiling and down so that I can press a button to lower it when I'm watching TV (which will be wall mounted above the media console). I know for sure the blue light will totally glare. I know the blind won't keep all the light out from glaring off the other parts of the room, but it'll help. If I really want to watch without glare, I'll just turn the lights off.

OK, got a response from ELOS. Left-side drain is available!

Once I get an "OK" from the contractor/architect on the tank support and electrical, I'll pull the trigger. ELOS says that they will have the tank available to be shipped by the end of the week. I'm not even going to have the house remodel done until a year, so I'm not sure if I should order now, store it for a year, or just wait.

You doing new kitchen cabinets?

Yes, and everything else. The old kitchen is getting completely demolished, other than the exterior walls. But we're moving doors, removing a few walls (including a load bearing wall), moving windows, etc. etc.

Did you consider running your kitchen counter under the tank and carrying the casework through? Or do you want it to look stand alone?

Did you consider running your kitchen counter under the tank and carrying the casework through? Or do you want it to look stand alone?
So it would look seamlessly part of the kitchen counter? I did think of that, but I don't think I'll do it because:
  1. All these cabinet/aquarium makers seem very short on time. I can barely get a simple quote, let alone a conversation about how to build the stand and cabinetry
  2. This tank will live more in the "living room" than the "kitchen," even though it's an open floor plan. I do want some style separation, so I think having the stand look like what's in the living room is going to be nice
  3. I have the flexibility to move the tank from that spot if I ever changed my mind for some reason (or needed to take the tank down). I guess I could have the cabinetry easily removable too, but I think it's a bit much

All good reasons and you have your ascetic goal. Just wondering on how you plan to transition the upper cabinets to the tank and make it look good. I know you got the ascetic eye and with the tank half on wall and half on your casework, you might want to consider that transition. You can sketch it up real quick in Sketchup and see it in 3d.

Might make sense to extend a wing wall the depth up the upper cabinets. Will remove that weird transition.
kinetickitchen.jpg

Last edited:
@richiev I think the "weir" is just outlets of the return on the Fiji 108. I think it's split into three zones for better flow. I think if you're using powerheads etc. it doesn't matter as much. ELOS tanks now have two outlets, one on top and one on the bottom. The QuietDrain is designed so you can push like 3,000gph through it, so you could theoretically use it as one main "flow" source if you really wanted to.
I actually read up on it more. Apparently there's a couple companies that do this, and the setup is it has a dual-wall.

The tank itself has a wall with 3 weirs on it. One at top, one at mid, one near bottom. Normally that'd mean the water would drain on your floor if the pump went off, so what they actually do is put a second wall behind that one.

The water from those weirs flows up and over the second wall and that serves as your final overflow. So you in theory do get water transfer from multiple different levels in the tank, while still having a stable water line and a minimum amount of water draining during pump off.

Clever idea, though I have no idea if there's any actual benefits to doing it that way. Seems more complicated, but maybe there's value in it.

All good reasons and you have your ascetic goal. Just wondering on how you plan to transition the upper cabinets to the tank and make it look good. I know you got the ascetic eye and with the tank half on wall and half on your casework, you might want to consider that transition. You can sketch it up real quick in Sketchup and see it in 3d.

Might make sense to extend a wing wall the depth up the upper cabinets. Will remove that weird transition.
View attachment 40209

That is an awesome idea. Aesthetically this idea would be a much cleaner transition for sure. I'm going with it. Thank you for the suggestion and having such a detailed look at my plans.

Here's a quick look at the front half of the house including where the tank will be going. For those who've been to my place and seen how small it is, this is going to be a big improvement on the living space. Kitchen was tiny and behind a wall. Anyway, this is the new drawing that is pretty accurate in dimensions:

View attachment 40208

The light grey area around the tank is the space I'm planning for the contractor to add floor support (so it'll be extended past the tank's footprint).
The grey "line" above the tank is a 2x4 ceiling support for hanging lights.
The tank is a footprint of 48"x30" (yes, I didn't account for some extra space between tank and wall in this drawing).

talking about the placement, it's more or less a peninsula, though the ratio is kind of boxy. It gives 3' of space to walk to the bathroom, and it ends at the same depth of the "top" cabinets in the kitchen. The height of the stand will also match the countertop height in the kitchen. It'll look pretty seamless.

In addition, I'm thinking of putting an electrical powered "blind" that will retract into the ceiling and down so that I can press a button to lower it when I'm watching TV (which will be wall mounted above the media console). I know for sure the blue light will totally glare. I know the blind won't keep all the light out from glaring off the other parts of the room, but it'll help. If I really want to watch without glare, I'll just turn the lights off.
Where is the front of your house? Street side?

Ok that is what i was hoping. Right behind the front door is kind of wasted space. Put a closet their get rid of the window? Put equipment in there?
I know. That space is kind of sucky. I was thinking of having the door open on the left hinge, and then putting an entry-way bench there with one of my fiddle-leaf figs (7'), but it's kind of small for that. I like the window light, as that side of the house gets dark otherwise, but yeah, having a closet would be nice.

I was thinking of just killing the bathroom and making it a fish room, but @The_Lazy_Reefer just totally rebuild that bathroom for me haha.

Alright, I took some advice from @Mr2KiEu and am planning on a custom sump. I'm going to put the chiller in the stand, and I'll move my controller board into an adjacent cabinet (away from moisture).

What do you think about this sump design?

Custom Sump in Stand.jpg
Custom Option 1 with annotations.jpg

Last edited:
The way inflation is going, would make sense to get the tank asap.
Although news report of something of 9%+ inflation from a year ago, I feel it more north of 15% and that’s a low figure…

The way inflation is going, would make sense to get the tank asap.
Although news report of something of 9%+ inflation from a year ago, I feel it more north of 15% and that’s a low figure…

Yeah. I'll need to finalize a few things first, but hopefully I can get this ordered in a couple of weeks. I'll just store it in the garage for awhile. At least I'll have the tank and can start working on all the bits slowly over a year. It'll be nice taking a bunch of time creating a nice controller cabinet and really be able to work on plumbing and such.

ELOS has a left corner drain 120XL available now. Got a photo from them:

IMG_1073.jpeg

I'll pull the trigger tonight. The nice thing is Francois at ELOS/Aquarium Partners said he can hold it as long as I need (even for a year). I think I'll find a spot in my garage once the flooring is redone there and that'll let me start measuring and planning things out way ahead of time, and not wait a whole year.

ELOS has a left corner drain 120XL available now. Got a photo from them:

View attachment 40546

I'll pull the trigger tonight. The nice thing is Francois at ELOS/Aquarium Partners said he can hold it as long as I need (even for a year). I think I'll find a spot in my garage once the flooring is redone there and that'll let me start measuring and planning things out way ahead of time, and not wait a whole year.
Eww, that's ugly. You should definitely send me the contact information of that person and the price they offered you so that I can.... ummm ... tell them not to sell it to anyone .... and definitely not give them my credit card and address and have them ship it to me and ....

Are you going to get just the tank or the stand and everything?

Back