Jestersix

Looking to get started with our first saltwater tank

My son (9 yrs old) and I are looking to start a new hobby together. Looking for any advice on getting started with our first small tank, probably 30 gallons or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Reactions: JVU
I have a 40 gallon with stand for free if you’d like it. It is not drilled . I used it for my qt. After that , this hobby can sometimes empty your wallet . Welcome

Same advice I give everyone starting out. Get a tank twice as big as you are thinking of. You will run out of space quickly and it is much easier to start with a bigger tank than swap out to a bigger one later. Also, it's easier to maintain the correct levels on a bigger system.

First question is what’s your budget. 30 gallon setups can be done for dirt cheap or completely take away your money haha. The innovative marine 30 gallon long all in one tank is amazing can be filled with lots of interesting life.

You’ve come to the right place!
Any ideas what you guys want to keep in it?
This and a rough budget are the two key starting points. That and deciding if you are willing to buy used for some things.
A couple years ago I got to counting the retail cost of everything in or used to run my 29 gallon Biocube. I was over $1000 before I got to anything living. On the flip side, I know people who have successfully gotten a 75 gallon running for less than that.
I tend to set my tanks up for live coral of almost every type, but setting up a fish only system, or even one that just keeps very easy corals is much easier and cheaper, while providing a lot of color and movement.
You’ll get a few differing opinions here, but there’s a ton of knowledge here that will saves you both money and frustration.

Keith
we are you best initial investment
if you support us, we will support you
we are a endless source of knowledge, equipment and frags

this is a very good start!

Welcome to the hobby and the club! There is a ton of experience and knowledge here. With some more specific questions/expectations/budget we can give you more specific answers/opinions.

Also, chatting with people at our events and seeing other tank setups is a great way to learn, especially when you aren’t sure what questions to be asking :)

Welcome to BAR. Check out the tank thread forums to see some really nice smaller tanks. You can learn a lot from their adventures.

Back