Cali Kid Corals

Make mushrooms detach?

JVU

President
BOD
Has anyone found a way to make individual mushroom corals detach from a rock inside the tank?

I’m aware of the techniques of cutting the rock under the shroom with bone cutter (messes up the rock and difficult) and trying to cut between the foot and the rock (traumatic and difficult). Any other ideas?

I’d line to know too, one way I’ve tired is direct a power head at them until they walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You put them in my tank. Guaranteed to detach, esp if you don't want them too... lol

But that said, if you change the quality of the light, they tend to detach readily on their own

Hmm well I’m hoping for a solution that doesn’t affect the whole tank or entire regions of the tank like powerheads and lighting changes.

I could try the ice cube trick. I’ve heard it referenced a few times for anemones, and I understand the logic that mushrooms are closely related, but not heard that anyone actually had success with mushrooms.

I’ve also heard of using a credit card or similar blunt edge on the foot attachment site but that seems like you’d need a smooth surface to work with as opposed to rock. Anyone have experience with it?

Yes, if possible. At least that’s what I wanted to get people’s experience on.
Yeah gotcha. I got nothin then really. If you can’t remove the rock it’s gonna be hard.
Bone cutters are messy but do work well if your rock isn’t somewhat “soft”. Depends on type.
Definitely dangerous in tank but you can sometimes use a hammer and chisel/screw driver/ice pick to break off a piece of rock surprisingly accurately

I tried the ice cube trick for about 15 min with several ice cubes sequentially as they melted. It did piss off the mushroom but didn’t detach its foot at all.

Went back to cutting them off the rock as close as I can to the rock with a scalpel.

Oh well, sorry for that, but at least someone tried :D

Maybe you could jerryrig something up, hard piece of tubing (or maybe just the tip with some super glue to stiffen it up, connect it to a small pump (may be hard) and just squirt water at the base, basically a very homemade waterpik. It's less permanent than pointing a tank pump directly at it, and you could maybe just hold the tube down with something and let it squirt.

Oh well, sorry for that, but at least someone tried :D

Maybe you could jerryrig something up, hard piece of tubing (or maybe just the tip with some super glue to stiffen it up, connect it to a small pump (may be hard) and just squirt water at the base, basically a very homemade waterpik. It's less permanent than pointing a tank pump directly at it, and you could maybe just hold the tube down with something and let it squirt.
Yes I’ll try that at some point. If someone else does, share your results.

Ive tried ice on the foot of anemones, but it did not work for me. If you are trying to keep them alive, try a razor blade with all powerheads off. Put the pieces in a cup of rubble and low flow area. Be careful or you might end up having baby mushrooms everywhere.

Back