High Tide Aquatics

Making DBTC even better

cwolfus

Past President
Hi there,

As you probably know, there is a group of us building an application to track the progress of DBTC. And we need your help.

We want to know what you want to know!

Basically if you have a question about DBTC statistics I'd like to see them here. For example:

- I want to know what is our oldest chain
- I want to know what is our most distributed coral
- I want to know which chain has the most generations
- I want to know the ratio of SPS to other corals in DBTC

etc.

No promises that we will get them all, but we will do what we can.

C

I want to know more about the people than the corals, knowing which corals got distributed the most is fine and dandy, but if I give up a coral and 10 people scream "I'd like to try a piece" or what not, it'd be nice to see who is more deserving than others. So knowing how many corals they got, how many chains they continued, how many corals they initially offered, would all be great stuff.

Also to add, it'd be nice if each person had a list of the corals they had, maybe with a hyperlink directly to the thread? If anything simply to see if the reason they haven't returned as many as they gotten is they got a purple monster 2 weeks ago in which case I can say ok it takes time to grow (but hey you got something cool, let someone else have a shot at it or zoanthids a year ago and you should have had enough growth to offer some back, or maybe they did offer and no one else wanted it, we do know some corals are hard to give away! :D
But I'd like to make informed judgment as to why they got more corals than gave back rather than just writing someone off as a greedy coral grubber, as strict numbers alone can misrepresent.

The generic stats we'll have soon won't show that someone had a tank crash and lost most of the items they received but it will show results. I'd hate to label someone but the result is in the fruit. Folks with no history may seem less worthy but they may not be (especially in my case :D ). We need to tread lightly I guess.

Levi

I would like to see more data on people's tank. I would feel better passing along my non softies corals to people I think can keep them alive. It would be nice to have them open a tank journal as part of the requirement. : )

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2870.msg30413#msg30413 date=1200595775]
I would like to see more data on people's tank. I would feel better passing along my non softies corals to people I think can keep them alive. It would be nice to have them open a tank journal as part of the requirement. : )
[/quote]

Awesome idea, we could use a tank specs DB. I like it!

A tank build thread should be a prerequisite to joining any DBTC. In that thread the members could update a single post of what DBTC they've joined and what ones they've passed on, or passed away. Loosing a coral doesn't equate to them being a looser or anything, but it would be pretty telling if they've not passed any DBTC on to anyone else.

That's exactly what I was getting at Gresham.

And the reason I don't have a tank built/operation thread, is pretty much the reason when I haven't been going for any DBTC corals, that and I dont want to have to clean the acrylic & glass:D

I'm open to all perspectives, but have a different point of view...

One potential problem with focusing on another's tank for purposes of deciding who will get frags is that it encourages us to all impose our biases on the corals we are propping.

For example, while most SPS tanks have heavy skimming there are those who are starting to feel that there needs to be more "nutrients" for optimal growth. Now, imagine you have a coral that has been doing well and so you put it in DBTC, but soon afterwards it RTNs. Would your bias for heavily skimmed tanks be the most likely way to ensure captive propagation success?

Same is true for various tank chemistry parameters.

I'm more interested in hearing after distribution what worked best... and focusing more on the corals.

C

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=2870.msg30522#msg30522 date=1200630024]
I think "My Tank" should be a separate forum sub-system which is linked to DBTC.
[/quote]

I'm thinking seperate too based on some of the other comments. It would be something people could look at but don't have to.

I think the "rules" should be set by each individual donor. If the program had more "official rules" I'm not sure it would be as much fun.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2870.msg30545#msg30545 date=1200677713]
I think the "rules" should be set by each individual donor. If the program had more "official rules" I'm not sure it would be as much fun.
[/quote]

I agree but I'm thinking we need to have a templete for new threads to use. There are just too many threads with nothing other than "standard rules apply" when there aren't any standard rules. SO STOP SAYING THAT! :D

Levi, back in the day people wrote "rules" in their initial post for example http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=838.0. As time goes on it becomes a chore to write the rules out on every post. As well as, every coral is different, and has different requirements. There's tons of good background info in the stickies in regards to DBTC background.

While I do agree standards are helpful, statements like "have to be successful with SPS" are relative. For example, I've given a few people their first SPS through the program. Why? Because I'd hate to see someone kill an animal that was shipped all the way from lord knows where to learn how to keep it. I feel it is a responsible thing to do to prevent that, as well as I can assist them with the husbandry of the animal. So rules may vary. You'll find out what a chore it is to take a picture, concoct and post rules etc. when, hopefully, you are able to start giving back. Some of us are saying "just take the damn coral", there's plenty of it. ;)

Oh yeah, I don't even use standard rules apply anymore, I do however keep accurate records of who got my coral and when. Believe me, if I don't see any returned in a more than ample amount of time, you'll see my heckler side come out at that persons expense (unless the coral is in fact dead, that's nothing to joke about :'()

I totally agree with you Jeremy. I'm thinkging we should put a templete out for suggestions on what to include when someone starts a new thread. I've gone through the oldest 5 pages of DBTC threads and I like the way it was being done in the early threads.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2870.msg30413#msg30413 date=1200595775]
[/quote]
As the donor, you have every right to put whatever requirements you see fit on the transaction.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2870.msg30481#msg30481 date=1200605686]
A tank build thread should be a prerequisite to joining any DBTC. In that thread the members could update a single post of what DBTC they've joined and what ones they've passed on, or passed away. Loosing a coral doesn't equate to them being a looser or anything, but it would be pretty telling if they've not passed any DBTC on to anyone else.

[/quote]
And you have every right to specify that requirement for any coral you're putting into the program.

How about we start a forum (perhaps with a sticky giving a template to keep post organized and unbloated) and start the idea as a voluntary thing. If people really dig it, DBTC OP's can per personal requirements, require a thread prior to receiving a coral. Not everyone will require it, but the option and mechanism to have it in play is a good idea IMO.

Back