Our mission

Maui Aquarium

Worth the look......I took some great pics of aquascaping/displays that could translate easily to the home.

+1 on the Pacific Whale Watch Foundation. They have some sort of "license or waiver" that alows them closer approach to the whales than the regular tourist boats chartered out of Lahaina. I forget how close they are allowed but our captain was good at estimating the whales approach so we could kill our engines while still outside the allowed limit and allow the whales to come right up to the boat (whales can approach you but not the reverse). The "tourist" boats have to back away from approaching whales while the foundation boats do not. The Foundation launches out of Lahaina, but the tickets are purchased at the store front by the aquarium.

Aloha Mixed Plate
1285 Front Street, Lahaina, HI 96761
(808) 661-3322 ‎

Excellent local food (not healthy :) ) at VERY reasonable prices. They make their asian noodles from scratch everyday. Very tasty! When we were there it was full of locals and not tourists so it was nice and quiet. Great water front views too. It' s not walkable from the Lahaina tourist area as its north closer to the highway 30 split. Looking at Yelp there were a couple of dubious reviews but the rest of the reviews live up to our memories.

Have fun! Aloha!

-Gregory

yeah +1 or 2, 3 , 4 , 5 whatever we're up to.

Maui Ocean Center was a very fun trip. It's a bit pricey $25 pp I think, but hey you're on vacation, penny pinch when you get back home. They have quite a few nice tall tanks (well over your head tall, not Steinhart tall :D), some areas where they show frag grow out techniques (for the ocean I believe not for home tanks :D), an absolutely awesome outdoor tank (I really want one like that... but I'd rather not have to heat it here in SF), and a very nice outdoor area in general.

We went in January so the temp was mid70s or so, and nice breeze off the coast, it was pretty chill.

One tshirt that I wanted to get (even at tourist prices) but they were sold out, was the state fish, with those "Hello my name is" tags... and a separate one for each sound... Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apu A'a

if we ever go back we're going to grab that shirt if we get the chance :D

+1. I was there in April and really enjoyed all the displays. I kept turning to my wife and saying things like did you see that dragon eel? Or check out that HI flame angel! (She could care less). HA.

We've had a fun time there. The Aquarium has some nice displays and a walk through tunnel where mantas and other large sharks pass over head. I think I have some photos, I can post on this thread.

While you're over at the Maalea Habor, you may want to check out the Pacific Whale watch foundation next door. I'm not sure if how well they running, now as Feb and March are the best months. May be too late in the season, but may be worth asking about.

Aloha

Was just there 2 weeks ago.... pretty decent. Loved the large hammer head sharks. But a bit pricey.
Shark tank was nice as well as the under water tube walk.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-QgORAey4w
Surprised to also see a pair of harlequin shrimps in a small tank with a Mantis shrimp.

COSIGN on going to ALOHA MIX PLATE.... hit up the cookie place in old lahina too.

Back