Jestersix

Mav's Elos Mini

I've had 3 different tanks since I started this hobby of ours. First was a 10 gallon Truvu, then a 34 RSM, then a 57 Illuminata, and now a 20 gallon. I've always wanted a Elos tank and now I finally got one today :bigsmile: .

I picked up the tank today at Blue Ocean Aquatics. Thanks Tec for making it happen and for picking it up for me..hehe. It felt like Xmas morning when I got the whole set up home. Now I truly understand when they say that Elos tanks are just sweet...everything looks great, especially the tank :bigsmile: . I didn't get the E-lite but leaning more towards the AI Sol Blue fixture.

Here are some pics:

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8254.jpg

I'm just going to run it stock for now and will make adjustments later if needed, in terms of skimmer, pumps, ATO etc...I'll be using some Key Largo rocks and will try to do a minimalistic scape for a change. Epoxy, cement and glue here I come! More pics to come.....

I got the tank and stand finally up but not running yet. I just need to attach my flex tubing for the drain and some rubber tubing for the return. I'm still contemplating about the stock NS100 skimmer 'cause of it's bad reviews and too finicky of a skimmer. Looking at Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 cone skimmer that fits perfect inside the sump, plus the price can't be beat. I haven't got the light yet but might cycle the tank w/o lights.

Breakdown of equipment:

MP10 for flow
RKL with temp probe
2 Drew's dosing pumps
WM 2 part in BM dosing containers
LED light(wishing for a AI Super Sol Blue)
NS100 skimmer or BM NAC 3.5
Large grain of sand(size of biopellets)
Key Largo dry rocks from Marco rocks
150w eheim heater

LS- Maroon clown, midas blenny, some chalices, acan and zoas. Eventually get back into SPS after parms are stable.

Here are some pics :)

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8259.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg

Beautiful setup Manny, love the craft of the tank and everything.

The only question is how many SPS you plan to grow in this tank? You have to be super selective, it will be struggle and painful to resist some of the super nice RBTA frags here :)

Thanks everyone!

Ryan- for SPS, it all depends on my scape but it comes down to not much space to work with but I'll try to put some choice pieces to fill the void. I still have my RBTA at the store. I plan to keep it for my maroon clown. You can get the Ballast Point IPA at Bevmo :) they come in big bottles...you won't be disappointed if you like beer.

Don't use the ELOS skimmers, they're not good =( They look nice, but that's about it.

Also there's a big issue with microbubbles the way the ELOS sumps are designed. I think there were a handful of solutions in the reefcentral ELOS forum.

kinetic said:
Don't use the ELOS skimmers, they're not good =( They look nice, but that's about it.

Also there's a big issue with microbubbles the way the ELOS sumps are designed. I think there were a handful of solutions in the reefcentral ELOS forum.

Everyone has been telling me that the skimmer is garbage and I should sell it before using it. Whose gonna buy it?

I'm worried about the microbubbles even before I purchased the tank but there are solutions that you mentioned in RC, so hopefully it ain't too bad..hehe.

Checked your blog and the pics are just fantastic!...it's pretty much art...great shooting!

Got the day off and did some work with the tank...here are more pics Big smile
IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

first scape prospect
IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8914.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

IMG_8918.jpg

2nd scape prospect
IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg

Want to really do a 3 rock scape..any comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

preparing water for tomorrow
IMG_8925.jpg

I like the 2nd one too Ryan, it was a busy day but wanted to finish it but what's the fun on that..lol. I'm still going with the AI unit. I got a feeling someone is gonna buy my skimmer... ;)

I got some pics of the tank with water finally running and most of the equipment in it's rightful place :) . I still need to tidy up inside the sump. I also installed my temporary LED light fixture..LOL, until I get a real one. Don't mind the 4th rock inside the tank, only using it to seed the rest and will be taken out as soon as the tank is ready for some LS.

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8940.jpg

IMG_8942.jpg

IMG_8943.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

I added 1 vial of Prodibio Biodigest to speed up the cycling process and got some GAC to help aid the water clarity. I need to figure out on how to add some dosing containers that can fit inside my already packed sump..hehe.

Future plans:
-add some GFO, get light fixture, make a light hanging kit, 2 part and dosing pumps(got it from previous tank) and get all my LS when the tank is ready.

• The temporary LED light fixture is cute
  • My understanding if you go bacteria driven route, GFO is not necessary, in fact GFO compete food source with bacteria
  • The skimmer does not look very good, at least from picture, does not seem to produce dense bubble (sorry for my frankness)
    Rockspace look great, except 4th rock:)
    Looks like it is very hard to add dosing hardwares into the stand :)

ryanjiang said:
  • The temporary LED light fixture is cute
  • My understanding if you go bacteria driven route, GFO is not necessary, in fact GFO compete food source with bacteria
  • The skimmer does not look very good, at least from picture, does not seem to produce dense bubble (sorry for my frankness)
    Rockspace look great, except 4th rock:)
    Looks like it is very hard to add dosing hardwares into the stand :)

I'm just using biodigest to cycle the tank and to have a variety of bacterial strain to start the tank with.
I know the skimmer got some bad rep..hehe..I'm giving it a chance for now and still tweaking it as I see fit.
It's a tight fit inside the sump but maybe I can utilize the back part of the stand for a small shelving unit to hold equipment ;)

The trick with that skimmer is to feed the ATO through the skimmer venturi. It will dissolve the accumulated salt from saltspray.

Gomer said:
The trick with that skimmer is to feed the ATO through the skimmer venturi. It will dissolve the accumulated salt from saltspray.

Thanks for the tip Tony! I'm never good with plumbing, so I should T off my ATO tubing to pass the skimmer's venturi when it turns on? For the meantime, I'm using a pipette to flush RO water through out the air line..hehe.

I know it's only been 3 days since the tank is running but I still took some parameters today just to see. I'm using aquavitro Salinity salt mix and SG is 1.024 with a refractometer. My target SG is 1.026.

ALK 7 (fine going for 8-9)
CA 400 (going for 420-450)
PH 8.1
MG 1320
AMM 0
Nitrite .02
Nitrate 5

Back