Kessil

Max’s dry 90 cube tank and frag tank

max_nano

Supporting Member
So you are using this lens:
or
Not sure witch one is better I am thinking to buy one as well.
I have the polyp lab version 2, the first one you linked. It works well on my iPhone XS, but there are probably cheaper options that will achieve the same thing. I order reef roids directly from polyp lab, so I just added it to my order. The macro works best when you are able to get very close to the subject so I primarily use the orange filter
@Alexx I just saw this on Instagram, low price for some orange filters https://www.coralfishsupplies.com/collections/camera-filters

Last edited:

max_nano

Supporting Member
I am currently using the ApexEL and power bar to control my tank. I have only bought the AFS as an add on and I have been learning more about GHL and with tech in the kh and ion director I am starting to consider switching. So, before I get deeper into the Apex ecosystem I want to test out the GHL software and check out their hardware. I just received a GHL 2.1 Stand alone dosing pump.

If anyone has any questions about this unit let me know and I’ll do my best to test it for you. I’ll update with how the setup was.
F6FF25C8-8B46-42FD-9A74-41C33A9C5C25.jpeg
1A874701-70FC-45F8-ADCF-B1AD87414060.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
I picked up a 24x24x12 glass frag tank today. I plan on moving corals over to that tank in a little bit. I also was able to get two beautiful Goni from tankguy. I think I will cut pvc to make feet for egg crate, any recommendations for bio media to put in the sump for this?

158BE35C-312C-46CF-B401-7C3B9E0621FA.jpeg9B9740D6-2F8C-4AE6-802F-CDF2D4322870.jpeg

MarAquatic

Supporting Member
I am currently using the ApexEL and power bar to control my tank. I have only bought the AFS as an add on and I have been learning more about GHL and with tech in the kh and ion director I am starting to consider switching. So, before I get deeper into the Apex ecosystem I want to test out the GHL software and check out their hardware. I just received a GHL 2.1 Stand alone dosing pump.

If anyone has any questions about this unit let me know and I’ll do my best to test it for you. I’ll update with how the setup was.
View attachment 15797
View attachment 15801
I've been debating between the apex and ghl for a while. Still unsure

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ofzakaria

Supporting Member

View attachment 15797
View attachment 15801
Ghl products are solid.

max_nano

Supporting Member
I tried to set up the GHL doser from the start without watching any videos, just using the app and intuition. I was not successful and ended up failing the network setup so I had to resort to a hardwired setup. I plugged the doser in and after downloading the GHL Control Center on my PC I was able to get everything setup quickly by following the resource videos. My initial stance on GHL is that their equipment is produced at a high quality standard and their software is finicky. I am fairly technologically literate so I can usually set things up without instructions, but its like their software is missing tooltips to help new users understand what things do.

One example is the dosing calibration, it allows you to enter a speed and a flowrate, so I entered 1ml and speed 0 so I could test it with a graduated cylinder, I ran the calibration and quickly had more than 1ml in the cup. My mistake was not saving the new speed setting, and trying to enter a flowrate. What I needed to do was set a speed, save, hit calibrate, and then enter the amount that was dosed in the flowrate section then save. The doser then uses the volume it dosed in 1 min at that speed to calibrate dosing. The logic makes sense, the UI does not.

I am still deciding between GHL and Neptune, but my experiences so far make me lean towards GHL because in my opinion it seems like there will be more controllable with the trade off of a steeper learning curve. As a tech junky I think I am willing to learn and get the advantages of GHL. I still have to spend more time with it but wanted to share my preliminary thoughts with the journal

max_nano

Supporting Member
I've been running a GHL doser for over a year and absolutely love it.
A little more work than the Neptune option, but I like having 4 heads (if needed).
Yes, the cost per dosing head is much lower than the dos. And when heavy duty dosing is necessary ghl has the maxi. What are you dosing with yours, have you tried the stirring attachment?

bfirecat

Supporting Member
I was running Triton but switched over to Tropic Marin All for Reef and thinking about dosing Brightwell aminos and maybe Bacto Balance for carbon dosing.

Don’t technically need all the heads but if one ever breaks, its easy to switch to the next one while waiting for a replacement :)

Haven’t tried the stirrer attachment.

max_nano

Supporting Member
I was running Triton but switched over to Tropic Marin All for Reef and thinking about dosing Brightwell aminos and maybe Bacto Balance for carbon dosing.

Don’t technically need all the heads but if one ever breaks, its easy to switch to the next one while waiting for a replacement :)

Haven’t tried the stirrer attachment.
I’ll have to check out the brightwell amino’s, I’ve been using the Red Sea AB+ and I don’t want to have to refrigerate it. I’m also using AFR, but I might try traditional 2 part. AFR was nice for manual dosing

max_nano

Supporting Member
Yesterday I got the first pieces into the new frag tank. I am moving everything from the Red Sea into this frag tank, I am hoping that transferring the rock will limit any “ugly stages”, I put some dirty floss and my biospheres from the Red Sea sump into the new tank to hopefully seed it with some bacteria from my established tank. I’m still debating whether or not to bring the sand over from the current tank. I will be going bare bottom in the big cube so it could be nice to have a shallow sand bed in this tank, but I also like the clean look of a bare bottom frag tank. With how shallow this tank is it should be easy to mix up the sand and keep it clean. I think I’ll need to get some biomedia to go in my sump to make up for the lack of sand if I go bare bottom, but please comment if I’m wrong.
This is my second time moving tanks and each time I’ve done it with both tanks active. It’s always weird watching one tank empty out and become just rock and sand.

First corals in the new tank:
E80716F0-8088-485E-BCC6-7A834ABE1998.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
No sand in the frag tank. Will make flow tough to get right to say the least
Yeah I’m starting to learn that with the little bits of sand that came over stuck to stuff. I’m going to siphon the little bit of sand that’s made it into the tank out soon

max_nano

Supporting Member
Some shots of the frag tank in its temporary spot on its temporary stand. I have a 8020 stand on its way and am waiting to get my Red Sea 170 out so I can put the frag tank it’s it’s spot. For now it’s kinda fun having the frag tank right next to my bed and having the window to see some of the corals under sunlight. I keep the shade closed all day, but it’s fun for pictures. Even with the polyp labs lens this led bar from aliexpress is really blue, all the diodes are 470nm and it really makes colors pop. I’m excited to blend in some more whites with my radion though, it’s been a little too blue in my room

1B11BE82-5860-4AC1-8B15-02C22EBB1715.jpegCC693EE1-415F-472A-825B-4A898A8E4107.jpeg8E00F295-1C98-473D-A19D-E9362BBECC6A.jpeg