Reef nutrition

Max’s frag tank

max_nano

Supporting Member
I don’t fully understand why they say I need to use a scale to weigh out the rodi water, if I have a graduated cylinder shouldn’t 1500ml of RODI be the 1500grams of RODI it wants?

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
I don’t fully understand why they say I need to use a scale to weigh out the rodi water, if I have a graduated cylinder shouldn’t 1500ml of RODI be the 1500grams of RODI it wants?
Yes it should, at least to any sort of uncertainty that the scale would naturally give you.

Ok looking at the CoralVue website
All you need to do is take 1500ml of RODI water (or for increased accuracy, you can weight 1500 grams of RODI) and mix in the reagent.
yeah just use a graduated cylinder. That said it looks like you also need to add 65 grams of sodium bicarb, so that's where the scale would come into play.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Because while water volume can change with temp, water weight will not.
They have a solution that will need to be diluted to a specific acidity. To avoid you re calibrating kh every time you do a reagent and have diffrent acidity, they gave you the formula to mix precise every time.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Yes it should, at least to any sort of uncertainty that the scale would naturally give you.

Ok looking at the CoralVue website
yeah just use a graduated cylinder. That said it looks like you also need to add 65 grams of sodium bicarb, so that's where the scale would come into play.
Use a scale and trust me, it will avoid you dealing with slight acidity variances. Depending on ml will not be as accurate as weight.
I use a 20$ scale I got off amazon. If u want u can stop by and borrow it

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
How you mix is simple. Fill in your container with 1500g of rodi. Then add the reagent solution to the water. That's all.
Do not add the solution then add water.
Remember to zero the scale after u place the container on it so you do not deal with the container weight. With this scale, you place the container then turn scale on, it remove the container weight and turn on to zero
This is the scale I use

max_nano

Supporting Member
I got the last pieces for my aluminum extrusion light rig from tnutz yesterday. I will now be able to hang a g4 xr30 pro and 2 21” 470nm blue light bars. It is really nice to get the white channels from the radion after a week of just blue. I am now debating if I will build an arm from the stand to hang the lights from or if I will hang it from the ceiling
62E2440F-4E69-4623-BF36-513E6BB29FD8.jpeg7A63EA6B-8E59-4265-876F-BCFC2D8C26DB.jpegDD53FFA1-A92D-4E1A-997D-72DAD77B1FF7.jpeg
edit: these pictures are awful, I’ll add better ones at some point when I have it set up better

Attachments

max_nano

Supporting Member
Here are some somewhat better photos of the light rig I built
It is basically just 4 pieces of rounded edge 2 rail 8020 connected together with the radion attached with corner brackets and the light bars attached with t nuts. And 4 hanging mounts on the top rails.
D1C20BAD-C7D9-46E6-9B76-16359BC341CF.jpeg0C5A55B5-9C44-4A2B-891C-16A397836DE9.jpeg1C8B3C66-B857-4657-932D-9CE4F64BCB69.jpeg6226184B-81F0-42CD-A970-A6E57B58FB63.jpeg0F000233-527C-4EE0-A54C-32BBDA75AF82.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
Frag tank is looking very blue with all the lights on it. 300 par at the bottom under the radion, 100 on the bottom on the sides below the light bars. The rbta in the back is elevated on a rock and getting closer to 350, it has bubbled up for the first time in awhile but so many other things have changed that I can’t single one change out.
This tank was filled with fairly freshly mixed water so it was at 10.5 dkh at first. I am dosing minimal amounts of all for reef manually at night to not let it drop too much, but still lower. I kept the last tank around 9.5 but only was starting to dose in the last few weeks. I think I will try a lower alk around 8.5 dkh and see how it goes in the tank. I have 300 gallons worth of IO reef crystals now so I don’t think I could go much lower without having issues with water changes spiking the alk

frag tank with orange lens:
00320E18-D47D-45EC-83DF-653350D6D742.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
I finally fixed the radion settings which had the clock completely wrong and the lighting schedule is all working now. I am going to be filling in the rest of the egg crate today as well as moving the tank a few feet over and on to it’s new stand that should be arriving today. The corals are all looking much better and they seem to have adjusted to the new tank well. Alk is still high, I tested it at 11.5Dkh yesterday with my hanna. I am letting this naturally lower, but will get the Khg setup today to monitor it and eventually dose to maintain the alk.

Here is a before shot, it should be looking different tonight and I’ll finally post a FTS when it’s on it’s real stand, and I’ll share the horrible mess it has been in the last week that I’m too embarrassed to show until it’s fixed haha.

33942855-9B0E-497C-AC2C-FEEE3EFF39F7.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
Well it has been a long day. Still a few more things to set up but here’s the before and after. The new stand is much more sturdy than the ikea shelf...
300BD83E-9C07-458A-B544-8CA2FC75BE21.jpeg
88E7F93C-1BF4-4997-A596-802A14D92EEC.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
Everything is looking awesome! I’m loving the top down shots I can get in this tank. The lights are making the colors pop!
A96CB354-93CC-4494-BC63-94FE16CF6963.jpeg
89D923BE-CF6B-41F5-AEA1-333A59456CCD.jpeg
10A49D17-F019-441E-9A83-23B8F6F0FC76.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
I love the sweepers this little Pink lemonade puts out in the morning.
615F0A33-F614-4865-A1AF-9EC25383E674.jpeg

The khg is still new so it will continue to “break in” as tubing softens and what not, but the tests have been showing my slow alk decline, I am going to continue to let it lower until it get to about 9. Then I will engage the automatic dosing to keep the kh stable. This thing testing and dumping the reagent and tested water back into the tank has been really nice. I’m looking forward to getting more data output from the device to learn more about trends in consumption, I bet it could be a good way to tweak the photo period?
20382991-BC6A-41CD-9D07-60F27987B076.jpeg
The data shows the date, time, w value (amount of sw used to run test), AK (I believe this is related to the automatic dosing), and KH (the dkh)

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
I love the sweepers this little Pink lemonade puts out in the morning.
View attachment 16352

The khg is still new so it will continue to “break in” as tubing softens and what not, but the tests have been showing my slow alk decline, I am going to continue to let it lower until it get to about 9. Then I will engage the automatic dosing to keep the kh stable. This thing testing and dumping the reagent and tested water back into the tank has been really nice. I’m looking forward to getting more data output from the device to learn more about trends in consumption, I bet it could be a good way to tweak the photo period?
View attachment 16353
The data shows the date, time, w value (amount of sw used to run test), AK (I believe this is related to the automatic dosing), and KH (the dkh)
Did you hook it up to your controller yet? Khg can be connected to any controller.