License to krill

Max’s frag tank

max_nano

Supporting Member
I started making water at my new place and went from 280tds source water to 20tds source water. Is that normal for SF or is my building filtering at the source. I am getting 1tds output so I think I need to replace the di resin

max_nano

Supporting Member
Start to cycle some rock for the new tank. I am going to start a new journal for that one and close this journal after the 3 tanks it’s covered. I’ll be in the next tank for the next year, which will be nice after switching tanks every 2-3 months.
F38AD327-624B-4E08-931A-0C3F6BCD6676.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
Oh you got the new tank already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Shipping label has been created but it hasn’t shipped yet. I ended up getting a tank in stock in their outlet and just asked them to move the aio chambers so they expected a quick turn around.
I just got moved into my new apartment and wanted to get the rock cycling for as long as possible before I set up the new tank.
I still have my tank setup at school but am going to bring that up soon. I’ll run both tanks for a day or two so I can have a smooth transfer

max_nano

Supporting Member
Food for thought
Ammonia is probably not a big deal for cycling, but silica could be.
I’m doing lights off so I don’t think silica would be as bad because that won’t cause a diatom bloom. But I’m going to pick up new di resin tomorrow and will make sure to water change, I know it will delay the cycle but better to do it early

Meshmez

Supporting Member
I’m doing lights off so I don’t think silica would be as bad because that won’t cause a diatom bloom. But I’m going to pick up new di resin tomorrow and will make sure to water change, I know it will delay the cycle but better to do it early
I just dont know how much silica gets into the rocks and such and lingers once you put it in the tank.

max_nano

Supporting Member
Zoas are doing well, lots of new polyps.
03893CCC-D279-4ABC-955D-9F3C9712E13D.jpeg

I’m trying to figure out flow for my new frag tank. I think I’m going to get a MP40 to replace the two Jabao powerheads I’ve been using. It would be a lot of flow for a 25 gallon but I’m planning on focusing on SPS and it will be bare bottom. I don’t think the MP10 would work due to the 1/2” acrylic so I’d need to go with the MP40. I don’t know where I would put it but I Will make a hole to sneak the cables under the stand to make it as clutter free as possible

max_nano

Supporting Member
I think I’m going to try a AI Nero 5, I can get two for a little more than a MP40, and they can be turned which would give me more options for mounting

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
I think I’m going to try a AI Nero 5, I can get two for a little more than a MP40, and they can be turned which would give me more options for mounting
IMHO, nero5 is no better in terms power of the flow, it’s just slimmer than mp10/40

Meshmez

Supporting Member
you probably want to put it on the aio end of the peninsula... but youre kinda at a disadvantage there because you have an AIO and cant really put the dry side in the water.... unless you are going to put it on the front...

possibly one of the small gyres? make sure the dry side magnet is sealed somehow and put it in your aio section?

max_nano

Supporting Member
you probably want to put it on the aio end of the peninsula... but youre kinda at a disadvantage there because you have an AIO and cant really put the dry side in the water.... unless you are going to put it on the front...

possibly one of the small gyres? make sure the dry side magnet is sealed somehow and put it in your aio section?
Reefdudes put the Nero magnet in an AIO chamber which would allow me to put it on the back. I think I’d need to do MP40 on the front shooting back to the aio section, but that sorta ruins the clean look. If I went that route I would be able to route the cable under the stand but still would have to see the dry side sticking off.

@ashburn2k do you have a Nero 5 in your tank? Seems like a good option based on price, especially if they’re comparable to the vortechs.

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Reefdudes put the Nero magnet in an AIO chamber which would allow me to put it on the back. I think I’d need to do MP40 on the front shooting back to the aio section, but that sorta ruins the clean look. If I went that route I would be able to route the cable under the stand but still would have to see the dry side sticking off.

@ashburn2k do you have a Nero 5 in your tank? Seems like a good option based on price, especially if they’re comparable to the vortechs.
I had it for a day and it pushes less than half of the water than Mp40 while both at max, I just return the pump. I have a 48” long tank for reference. Might work for you if your tank is only 2 feet

max_nano

Supporting Member
I had it for a day and it pushes less than half of the water than Mp40 while both at max, I just return the pump. I have a 48” long tank for reference. Might work for you if your tank is only 2 feet

Got it, long side is 34” so I should be fine. I can put some corals that appreciate lower flow in the front. I’m ordering one now to try it out then might add a second

max_nano

Supporting Member
My parents are selling their house so they’ve converted the tank that got me into this hobby to fresh water, it had been empty while they rented it the last two years. my dad just sent me this shot of the massive RBTA we had when the tank was at its peak. Metal halide sure got this thing chunky

F6CD9E42-72BE-4AE9-9E0B-76B14F1B1E14.png8D971BF4-3883-472B-BD9B-63D899037EB7.jpegF81ACF2C-EDDE-4A36-923C-C80B7841B6EE.jpeg

max_nano

Supporting Member
The plywood I’m holding my new tank up with had holes for the 90 gal closed loop I was gonna do, it’s kinda funny how much light is going through them to the lower holding tank.
hanging kit should arrive Thursday, but for now I used the aluminum from the old frag tank to hold the lights
401FDE14-D2E9-46E4-9D65-521729C23325.jpeg