Our mission

Max operating pressure for ASO valve?

I've blown through two of the BRS Auto Shut Off Valves within a couple of weeks of installing each them. I've read, re-read and re-re-re-read the installation instructions and watched their handy dandy installation video many times and I know I've installed each valve correctly.

It takes about a half a day for it to "break in" and start working correctly then it does fine for a week or two. After that it starts to trickle out of the waste line. It starts off slow, maybe a 1/2 gallon a day and gradually increase to a good 5 gallons a day after two weeks or so. When the system is producing I'm running around 55 PSI. When it's off I can get upwards of 70 PSI on the system. Is there a maximum pressure that these ASOVs can handle? Or have I just been stuck with two crappy valves maybe?

~Charlie

Considering booster pumps can jump you up to 100 psi and are designed to work with auto shut offs, I think either you got bad units, or those are poorly designed. BRS is really not a RODI place, I'd use AWI, Filter Guys or Spectrapure as that IS their business.

Thanks. I'll see if I can get a valve from the Filter Guys next time. It works enough now so that I'm not wasting too much more than needed. When I get tired and turning it off and on again I'll pick up a new valve.

So almost a year later I put one of these Home Depot Pressure Regulators in-line to bring the pressure into the the RO system down to ~50 and the ASO is holding how.

It's a pretty slick little regulator. The garden hose fittings can be removed with an Allen wrench and leave you with 1/4" FPT. That makes it real easy to plumb in-line.

Just wanted to post my resolution here in case someone else runs into the same problem. I never did try a different brand of ASO though.

~Charlie

I have about 70 PSI as well.

My BRS valve has always been sketchy, and the pressure drop really did not make a difference for me.
Mine sometimes does not shut off, and sometimes makes a loud buzzing sound.
But I have not blow it out.
It is now really used in case I forget to turn the water off manually.

A few years ago I also added a similar (larger) regulator. Although I did it because my sprinkler system kept blowing
heads out of the ground. But I also put the RODI on it at the time.
It made no difference to me. But again - no blowout issues, so different.

Long term, (someday - you know how that goes) is to put a float switch in there, and use
a simple valve on the micro-controller.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10456

rygh said:

That's exactly what mine dose! That's when I get the bleed-through and start wasting water. It's not a lot of water but more than is needed in any case.

rygh said:

That's what I've been doing. When I hear the pipes/ASO rattling I go out and shut off the main valve. Worst case I might forget for a day or two and waste 3 or 4 gallons of water.

I like your idea with the float switch and valve too. That's just beyond my electronics ability. If it's wood or Lego's, no problem! When you start adding wires and soldering to the mix I'm out.

Have you tried a valve other than the BRS valve? In theory the ASO should be able to handle 85 PSI plus.

~Charlie

Piper said:
rygh said:

That's exactly what mine dose! That's when I get the bleed-through and start wasting water. It's not a lot of water but more than is needed in any case.

rygh said:

That's what I've been doing. When I hear the pipes/ASO rattling I go out and shut off the main valve. Worst case I might forget for a day or two and waste 3 or 4 gallons of water.

I like your idea with the float switch and valve too. That's just beyond my electronics ability. If it's wood or Lego's, no problem! When you start adding wires and soldering to the mix I'm out.

Have you tried a valve other than the BRS valve? In theory the ASO should be able to handle 85 PSI plus.

~Charlie
Interesting - so it is the same issue.
No, it is my only valve.
Like Baymac said, probably best to go with someone who specializes in that, not BRS.

Another idea I had was to just connect it to a sprinkler valve, and run it for a few hours once a week.
A "Close enough" kind of thing.

Back