Jestersix

Max’s 30 gal

My lid should arrive soon. What should I add? Tank is bare bottom with a 32”x18”x7-8” display.

I’d like to try and use captive bred so I’ve been looking at either a dottyback or a mandarin. I have a lot of pods and would continue to supplement for a picky eater, but CB should mean they’ll take frozen/pellets.

Alk: 7.9
PO4: .06 ppm
NO3: 1

the increase nitrate dosing worked to raise it to 1. Soon I will start to dose some carbon following the instructions from ATI. I played with the calculator again and it seems to want to keep N between 1-2 and P around .06ppm

Turned everything off and got some cool top down pics of the acros
7892DC76-1663-4E49-8FFB-B819F30B69EE.jpeg

54B2BA3D-2082-44ED-9ADB-0D28AECF7D47.jpeg
5E1E72EC-A7AF-4486-A414-6DFE45C2838F.jpeg
5FA9C72D-916B-4F4A-A5B9-0BCFC66AD57E.jpeg
0ED223CB-D2D5-4FE9-9165-041978623238.jpeg

wow, I’m glad I borrow the par meter it has been surprising.

I used the par meter to set my lights early on, and my goal was even spread because I was concerned with the shallow tank that I could have issues with uneven par.

But I just checked the areas I’m keeping the acros and they’re at 175-200, and then if they grow upwards the par peaks around 250-275 close to the surface. My plan will be to check the par at different % intensity for the light and store those numbers and then very slowly adjust the lighting to raise the par. I will probably increase the intensity 5% and put it on acclimation mode to make the change gradually

wow, I’m glad I borrow the par meter it has been surprising.

I used the par meter to set my lights early on, and my goal was even spread because I was concerned with the shallow tank that I could have issues with uneven par.

But I just checked the areas I’m keeping the acros and they’re at 175-200, and then if they grow upwards the par peaks around 250-275 close to the surface. My plan will be to check the par at different % intensity for the light and store those numbers and then very slowly adjust the lighting to raise the par. I will probably increase the intensity 5% and put it on acclimation mode to make the change gradually
What is your par goal? 200 may be fine for a lot of acros. You run the risk of baking your lower light stuff. Unless you just put them in corners.

What is your par goal? 200 may be fine for a lot of acros. You run the risk of baking your lower light stuff. Unless you just put them in corners.
Yeah I’m afraid to mess with what I’ve got going on now. But it was surprisingly low. I’ll probably just raise it slightly to bring the areas at 175 closer to 200.

the front rockwork with zoas and mushrooms is around 75-80 so I think there’s some margin there to raise it without impacting those lower light corals

I’m going to raise the intensity of my radion to 35% very slowly. I may not bring it there, but I can know it’s ‘safe’ to go that high with the height it is mounted at and with the supplemental lights.

I raised it to 35% and that provides 250-350 where I want to have acros, peaking around 400 at the top of the water. Par is 80 around the edges and around 120 where I have most of my zoanthids.

I’m not in any rush to raise it but it is nice to know I can raise it. A higher intensity helps the radion beat the blue bars and have a really nice white light. I’m happy with how it looks and am just trusting the coral labs AB+ design. I have an itch telling me to add T5 but...
DAE6BCC9-127B-49DA-831B-BC6459D48852.jpeg

Back