got ethical husbandry?

Max’s 30 gal

Alk: 7.3 up from 7.2 yesterday. I will see how the new increased dose impacts alk, but may increase it again to raise to around 8ish
NO3: 1-2.5 I am getting the nyos kit and will see if it’s easier to read
PO4: .11

I’m happy with those results.

Nitrate dosing seems to be adequate to keep it above 0.

Alk is getting an increased intake, but my recent dosage increase did not raise it too much.

and Phosphate has gone down to closer to where I’d want it. I believe the auto feeder has been helping my keeping my feedings more consistent

I was surprised when I added my co2 scrubber and then didn’t see a increase in pH or alk consumption. Today I was going to change it because I thought the media was just too old, and I realized it had been installed wrong! So I believe there was no airflow hitting the media it was just bypassing? Time to see what happens!

increasing the 2 part dosage has brought alk to 7.7 but I expect that Once the scrubber starts to raise pH this will settle down. I also added water to the little spot at the bottom of the reactor to help with humidity, that had been my other concern when the media wasn’t raising pH

I was surprised when I added my co2 scrubber and then didn’t see a increase in pH or alk consumption. Today I was going to change it because I thought the media was just too old, and I realized it had been installed wrong! So I believe there was no airflow hitting the media it was just bypassing? Time to see what happens!

increasing the 2 part dosage has brought alk to 7.7 but I expect that Once the scrubber starts to raise pH this will settle down. I also added water to the little spot at the bottom of the reactor to help with humidity, that had been my other concern when the media wasn’t raising pH

How did you installing it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How did you installing it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have the brs reactor and the internal tube with the media was mounted upside down. I think that blocked the airflow because all the media was still white besides just a top layer which turned purple. But it may have been the lack of humidity instead of my poor assembly

I think my heater should be moved. It is currently in the pump chamber of my tanks 3 AIO chambers. If I move it to the return chamber where water is flowing in it should never go dry if the ATO fails unlike its current position.

my question is, should I move the temp probes? Or leave them in the chamber with the pump?

I have a heater with an inline temp probe so I think I should put the heater and it’s probe in the same return chamber, then keep the GHL temp probe in the pump chamber. If the pump chamber drains due to a failed ATO it would make the temp probe read low but then the inline probe would be the failsafe.
Thoughts?

I made some nice progress getting the tank more organized and less chaotic. Some things were starting to be an eye sore so I got these shelves and dosing containers to reorganize the dosing.
F1BBBC39-A2A8-448F-81D9-28D34CE07EFE.jpeg

I’m working on a canopy that attaches to the hanging lights. It is just plywood that I connected to the t slot frame with a t nut. I need to cut these pieces short, and then add a third piece to the front. Blocking the source of the light has been awesome on my eyes. I should have done this sooner.
I was surprised by how much light spill I still have, it must be reflections from the bare bottom or something?
22ABD683-B7DB-4E2B-915E-90FF3B4E6B41.jpeg

If you want to reflect the light that the panels are absorbing, you could consider painting the inside white. It might throw some of the light back into the tank. But that might just go back to being hard on the eyes as well?

If you want to reflect the light that the panels are absorbing, you could consider painting the inside white. It might throw some of the light back into the tank. But that might just go back to being hard on the eyes as well?
Yeah I got semi gloss white for the outside and may do the inside as well to see if that does anything. I think if I wanted to reduce the spill I would need to make the canopy larger but I don’t want to have it be too large.

Am I going to have a bad time if I try to cut the 1/4” plywood with a handsaw. I can’t say I have the best wood shop in my apartment so I have limited options.

pics!
I tried adjusting the exposure on my phones camera and lowering it got some neat pictures. Might have been too low, but I’ll continue experimenting

442CB747-A7F6-464B-A2D6-46D439CBF750.jpeg
88F3D0BB-4D0C-4266-9F42-37BB3FDCE4CC.jpeg
E778BFA0-1093-4EF6-9407-10EB0388C461.jpeg
EE70DC6F-641D-4138-BC06-0569615B2878.jpeg
DAE9B7DC-3292-4500-BF8D-7CF25B307558.jpeg
3DEE048A-97F0-4C06-894D-48035A483109.jpeg
2B60B84B-9B62-4E44-A89F-2ECA3475B121.jpeg

Back