Our mission

Moving Nano Tank 1500 miles

Have a small Nano 10 with a 5yr old Goby paired with a Pistol. Green star up the back of the tank.

I need to know what is the best way to transport ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think reefers who have done such a move would advise you to rehome the shrimp + goby and set up a new habitat once you are settled and get a pair there.

First off thanks for responses.

Will be driving to Texas from California.

Wouldn’t mind the pets going to a decent home as they have been together for so long.

Can I just reduce the water level and hook up a a filter in hotel rooms along the way ? Temp won’t get below 75 or so in car and will hook up heater in room.

get the HDX black tubs from Home Depot. Super cheap and sturdy...

just make sure you check fo manufacturing defects on bottom to ensure there are no micro cracks that can leak,.

get the HDX black tubs from Home Depot. Super cheap and sturdy...

just make sure you check fo manufacturing defects on bottom to ensure there are no micro cracks that can leak,.
Do they make those bins that small? I like Mike’s (@Coral reefer) idea of the 5 gallon bucket. I found food grade ones with a lid at Lowe’s. You can drill a hole in the top for the air line so that you can seal the lid. The battery powered air pumps (that I have) take D size batteries and last a couple days. I wouldn’t feed them at all during the trip so that it keeps the ammonia down and with all the stress they may not even eat it.

Do they make those bins that small? I like Mike’s (@Coral reefer) idea of the 5 gallon bucket. I found food grade ones with a lid at Lowe’s. You can drill a hole in the top for the air line so that you can seal the lid. The battery powered air pumps (that I have) take D size batteries and last a couple days. I wouldn’t feed them at all during the trip so that it keeps the ammonia down and with all the stress they may not even eat it.

Guys & or Gals, thank you so much. Hearing other people tell you more than once builds confidence that I won’t be harming my little guys. Very important to me [emoji16].

Would you be able to send a link to that air pump and batter device ?

I would say the GSP will need to die. Do not let any water or rocks be in the tank during transport.

A 10g tank is easy to move. All you’ll need is 2 buckets. One for rocks and water, and the other for your fish and shrimp (and water of course). Just super glue a small piece of pvc pipe to the bottom of the fish bucket so they have a place to hide.

Use an air stone in both containers.

Bring 10 premixed saltwater gallond]s with you and as soon as you get to your new place use half of the bucket water and use the rest new.

Also keep your car warm so your not worried about heat loss. Or tape some hand warmers to the outside of the buckets.

Was thinking if OP wanted to save the wall of GSP, then can lay tank on its side submersed.

Home to Tons of pods, sponge, 4yr old Goby and pistol shrimp.

$300 OBO

Must go to a good home and not be parted out like a junkie.

e76535482fabfb85613ec30e7c9e511c.jpg
7385a3b990434674c09201233d7990bf.jpg
18fc12b098c781ca925f7683cce2bc9a.jpg
5fbe10ef4175356572da98402cc6d131.jpg

moving and keeping keeping the tank and inhabitants is totally doable. I echo what others have said above in that the best thing to do would be to add the rock and fish into separate buckets with airlines and no feeding. If you find a USB air pump you can possibly charge it in your car. Maybe wrap the buckets with blankets to insulate. I do disagree that you need to try to save any of your old water- I think 100% new water will be adequate. That said, you should treat as a new tank and monitor closely for ammonia and nitrite spikes and be ready to do frequent water changes after it is moved. If you are prepared to do that, I don't think you need to wait to set up the tank before adding the livestock back in. Maybe you can get most of the GSP on the rock and then scrape off and throw away what is left on the tank. If you transport the tank dry it wouldn't be a bad idea to rinse it thoroughly with salt water before and after moving to remove organics that will decompose.

Back