Kessil

Moving sand bed

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

I was just curious. I have my reef tank set up, and I have the return pump as well as a Jebao cp90 to create flow in my tank.

I’ve noticed that the sand bed always shifts itself, exposing the bottom of the tank. Any advice on what to do? I have more sand readily available.

Thanks
18cc713f8a7bf9d17f16ecfe2f72c51a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhhh, every reefers battle. You can move your return nozzles around or point your PH in a different direction. But it’s likely always going to be a battle as you start stocking your tank. But to answer your question, there’s no magic bullet and additional sand will not help.

Ahhhhh, every reefers battle. You can move your return nozzles around or point your PH in a different direction. But it’s likely always going to be a battle as you start stocking your tank. But to answer your question, there’s no magic bullet and additional sand will not help.

What do you think is the best way to point my return pumps / power head? I’ve got them pointed upwards in my tank
6493ca323e903980c07e27fc1918778c.jpg

It would be helpful to know the following:

(1) Type of sand with respect to grain size (i.e Fiji pink, oolite, special grade, etc)

(2) Size of your tank

(3) return pump gph and if it’s adjustable

(4) powerhead gph, speed setting, placement and where it’s pointed.

Like it has already been mentioned, it’s going to take some tweaking. I like having my returns pointed parallel with the surface of the water and just under the surface. That allows the flow to not be so turbulent and will break a siphon if the power goes out. I suspect the power head is probably mostly to blame for moving the sand though. I remember times thinking I’ve got it perfectly set only to come back in an hour to find the sand displaced again.

Back