Cali Kid Corals

MP10 bearings (also anyone have a pump to off load?)

richiev

Supporting Member
I have a MP10 whose front bearing is totally shot. I took it all apart and the rear is fine, but the front feels like sandpaper.

Does anyone know of a local place I could get a bearing? According to the internet it's a 7 x 14 x 15 bearing. This is for an older mp10.

Also, anyone know if stainless versus ceramic would change sound characteristics? From my cycling hobby I know there ceramic are generally lower friction, so I assume lower noise, but not sure if it'd be noticeable. The upcharge seems high ($10 vs $60) so I'll probably start with a stainless anyway unless I find another.

Also, if anyone else wants to replace bearings on one of these, it's super easy.

Finally, if anyone has any powerheads or fluval 13.5 compatible return pumps (like a sicce 0.5) please lmk.

Thanks!

Thanks! I checked that one out and they seem to be carrying only larger bearings. I called a couple places as well, and as you alluded to everyone has minimum purchases, even if you pick up. I ended up ordering from https://www.vxb.com/ which is in CA so hopefully it'll arrive quickly.

For future reference:
* Older MP10s are two bearings, 7 x 14 x 5 (inner x outer x width) also known as 687ZZ or S687ZZ with the S meaning stainless
* People recommend steel versus ceramic due to noise. Ceramic will last longer, but be louder
* You can find them super cheap on Amazon. Down to under a dollar for each. I bought from vxb and paid more under the hope that they'll be higher quality, but I have no proof of that
* Newer MP10s have two different size bearings, and are harder to take apart

I put a light coating of wax based lubricant on the points of contact on the mp10 and it seemed like it sounded better. I'm still waiting on the bearings to arrive. Bearing picture attached.
IMG_20211229_082639.jpg

I know you already ordered new ones but another place is McMaster. They have everything.

Back