Cali Kid Corals

My next controller, recommendations?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I currently have a super old Apex Jr. controller, but I am planning on setting up a new system once I get my house remodeled (maybe complete by fall 2023). I'll probably just get the latest and greatest Apex this time, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on what I need:
  • Temperature controller (heater on/off redundancy)
  • Chiller controller (more redundancy on the chiller)
  • ATO (I currently use the ATK and I fill an ATO reservoir with optical sensors and a RODI solenoid that's connected to my RODI system)
  • VarioS return pump variable speed controller (I use the VDM to fine tune it, but I might use a different pump in the new system, maybe the core?)
  • And a handful of other on/off things
Ultimately I also want some auto dosing system. I was thinking about the Trident, but I've heard good things about Alkatronic etc. I just need Alk/Ca and maybe even Mg dosing.

I do have some EB8 and EB4's, as well as the ATK + other stuff, so I'm just leaning towards sticking with Apex. But if there's something significantly better, I'm happy to jump ship.

Getting to be about 6 years old. They are on sale. They have been acquired, BRS has been hitting them up for years on a new version and Gen6 Radion was leaked too - also on sale.

1652136389308.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
I currently have a super old Apex Jr. controller, but I am planning on setting up a new system once I get my house remodeled (maybe complete by fall 2023). I'll probably just get the latest and greatest Apex this time, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on what I need:
  • Temperature controller (heater on/off redundancy)
  • Chiller controller (more redundancy on the chiller)
  • ATO (I currently use the ATK and I fill an ATO reservoir with optical sensors and a RODI solenoid that's connected to my RODI system)
  • VarioS return pump variable speed controller (I use the VDM to fine tune it, but I might use a different pump in the new system, maybe the core?)
  • And a handful of other on/off things
Ultimately I also want some auto dosing system. I was thinking about the Trident, but I've heard good things about Alkatronic etc. I just need Alk/Ca and maybe even Mg dosing.

I do have some EB8 and EB4's, as well as the ATK + other stuff, so I'm just leaning towards sticking with Apex. But if there's something significantly better, I'm happy to jump ship.
I would stay with Apex...well supported and lots of online community folks. Not perfect...but. The Alkatronic is awesome...if you want to see it, I have one. As for the return pump, there are lots of choices...ideally it is controllable by apex so it is integrated with any feeding you want to do. I am using Ecotech and had to make some custom modifications to get it to work with Apex.

Back