Neptune Aquatics

Nem removal

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I *think* I've come up with a way to remove anemones from a rock while in the tank, but have not tried it yet.

The idea is to make a tube roughly the diameter of the closed anemone using flexible plastic. I'm thinking of using a piece of a cheap flexible plastic binder. Then place the tube over the anemone so that one opening is around it. Use two rubber bands attached to the tube to attach it to your rocks. The nem should be displeased and head out of the tube through the other opening and voila!

Any thoughts?

Untitled drawing.jpg

I *think* I've come up with a way to remove anemones from a rock while in the tank, but have not tried it yet.

The idea is to make a tube roughly the diameter of the closed anemone using flexible plastic. I'm thinking of using a piece of a cheap flexible plastic binder. Then place the tube over the anemone so that one opening is around it. Use two rubber bands attached to the tube to attach it to your rocks. The nem should be displeased and head out of the tube through the other opening and voila!

Any thoughts?

View attachment 21218
You can actually just tell them not to move and then they will

It is worth a shot! A tube that blocks light from getting to the nem may be better than clear. but even clear might bug it enough to try and walk to a "better" spot, into the trap (insert evil laugh).

I’ve dealt with nems for years now and once they find a crevice the only way to get them out safely is to hammer and chisel the rock and even they stay attached to that part. I’m curious and following along to see if this works. Catching a moving split or unhappy camper into a trap is a neat idea forsure!

I second what Daniel said about anemones in crevices, I had to chisel out a couple that set part of their foot in the smallest crevices in my main rock.

Another option, I had success with is pointing a powerhead directly at their foot forcing them to let loose. This was during quarantine and I had several hours to kill.

Yes, I’m counting on the change in flow to make it move. Both of the nems on this rock walked across the entire tank to get close to the power head. Diminishing the flow and light may give them an incentive to move.

It might work. I was thinking to put something like a ceramic tile on top of him in the hopes it will block the light and he will then move on the tile and then I can just get him like that.

Back