got ethical husbandry?

New Bar

Hey everyone! After a few unsuccessful tries at starting a reef tank, I’ve decided to give it any other try. Hopefully it goes better for me this time around now that I’ve got the family on board.

Last edited:
I'm going to put this into the "what's done is done" category, but the idea of using a fish to cycle a tank is a tad archaic, that fish will go through an ammonia spike that while probably not fatal may not be the most pleasant thing for the fish.

That said, what was unsuccessful about your prior tries? Why did they fail? Did you do something differently each try or just did the exact same thing?

Previous tanks- either ran low on time and was unable to keep up on the maintenance or equipment would fail and was discouraged. My latest tank prior to this one was a 5 gallon fowlr which did fine for over a year so I decided to go slightly larger when the opportunity presented itself.

I'm going to put this into the "what's done is done" category, but the idea of using a fish to cycle a tank is a tad archaic, that fish will go through an ammonia spike that while probably not fatal may not be the most pleasant thing for the fish.

That said, what was unsuccessful about your prior tries? Why did they fail? Did you do something differently each try or just did the exact same thing?

Back