Jestersix

New tank move - Livermore 10/09 or 10/10

EasyBay Newbie

Supporting Member
Hi all!
I have received a 225G tank from CDA and would like to put it on its stand. It is 72x30x24. I'm borrowing the suction cups from the club and I should have them by next weekend. The stand is in the office with heavy-duty felt pads underneath. The tank is in its crate in the garage.
The route from the garage to the office is mostly flat except for:
  • 2 small steps outside
  • The entrance door threshold
Once the tank is inside, we can uncrate it and lift it up on the stand. The stand shelf is 36" from the ground.

Anyone free to help me do this in Livermore next weekend? I'm planning on renting 2x furniture dolly from Uhaul so we can roll the crate near the steps, then lift it for 2 steps.

Keep me posted. I might be able to help that weekend depending how my home move goes this week and next. If I am available I am happy to assist.

Thanks everyone! I think Srt4eric also has time to help on 10/09. Trying to determine if we need 4 or 6 people? Tank in wooden crate is 620lbs. Maybe 500lbs for the tank? It's eurobraced with extra bracing at the bottom. 1/2" glass.

Thanks everyone, things are looking good for 10/09. Please let me know if you can make it to Livermore. I know it's a bit far and can offer gas money. There are also wineries and microbreweries in Livermore that offer tasting services on the weekend.
The job itself shouldn't take too long, maybe 30-45 minutes? It's a new tank that needs to be lifted on the stand. If people want to hang out a bit, I'd love to talk about the setup I envision and get some feedback as well.

Have you decided on date and time? I might take my little boat, if motor work tonight, out to Del Valle but detour to your home first.

Yes, 10/09 for the date. As for the time, I don't have anyone 100% confirmed yet so I'm very flexible. It should be a quick job since it's a dry tank.

OK, Let's do 10am?
I have 4 large suction cups. Is that enough for 4 people or should I try to get the small suction cups as well? Not sure if people use 1 suction cup per hand or 1 per person?

OK, Let's do 10am?
I have 4 large suction cups. Is that enough for 4 people or should I try to get the small suction cups as well? Not sure if people use 1 suction cup per hand or 1 per person?
10am is great for me if we can get the rest of the crew. I've never moved a tank this big before so I'll let the experienced ones opine on # of suction cups and people.

I am also in Livermore but really shouldn't be lifting too much because of an old injury. I am not sure how I can help but please let me know if there is a task you think I can assist with.

I'm available...have tired joints/aches/pains but should be able to lift some. Having moved a large tank, I highly recommend 6 people if possible.

If anyone is on the fence due to distance, you could meet at my place in San Ramon or be picked up at Dublin Bart, I can drive one extra or 2 but the back seat is just a fold down jump seat. Please let me know.

Massive shout out to Blaise006, Wlachnit, and Da_Neefer for helping with the move. A neighbor also came to help so we were 5 people.
For anyone moving something similar in size, this is what I did:
  • Flooring. I used these felt pads between the stand and the floor. I'm able to move the stand+sump+tank by myself by sliding it it across the floor.
  • The steps. We took the tank out of the crate and used 2 furniture dollies to move the tank across the steps.
  • Suction cups. We only needed the 4 large suction cups. Since the tank is 30" wide, we put 2 on each end.

Attachments

• IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4359.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 148
Back